Grain bag or no grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybish

Reaction score
Now that I have a few batches under my belt (literally) I am starting to look for recipes on the web beyond the basic kits and I have noticed that some instruct to steep the specialty grains in 1 gallon of 150 degree water, then strain back into the brew kettle, and then sparge the grains with another gallon of 150 degree water. All of the kits and recipes I have brewed thus far have specified steeping the grains in a bag and the kits include a bag. Is there any difference one way or the other? Steeping without the bag definitely is not as easy, but maybe has better saturation due to the exposed surface area?

Go to your local hardware store or Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and buy a pack of 2 5-gallon paint strainer bags. Line your pot with one of these, and then dump in your steeping grains, stir them up, etc. and follow the recipe. When it's time to pull the grains, just pull the bag out, turn it inside out to dump the grains and rinse it off for next time, and you're done. The large bag makes it basically equivalent to not having a bag at all, so you're getting the best of both worlds.

I use a big bag, so the grains can float arround in it.
After i dump the grains, I use the same bag for my hops, so that i can easily pull them out as soon as the boil is over.

Great input and ideas guys - thanks. I am used to using the muslin bags and they end up being quite tight. I will try out the larger paint bags.

They have different size grains bags. I keep three different ones for different size steeps I get from midwest brewing usually. They cost like 30-60 cents a piece.

They have different size grains bags. I keep three different ones for different size steeps I get from midwest brewing usually. They cost like 30-60 cents a piece.

My reusable bag was like $4 and after 8 batches, it is in great shape, and ready for more.

The bags that kits give are tight on the grains and don't allow adequite water flow through it.

Back