Grain bag imposters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hialtitude

Reaction score
I was just about to start heating up some water for a brew when I realized I forgot a grain bag. :( I am only steeping 2lb of grain but don't want to drive across town for a bag. Anybody have any ideas on common household items that could be used? :eek: And I don't care how clean my stoned roomate says it is, I will not use a sock!

Cheesecloth? You will probably still get some particles but make a few layers of cheesecloth, pour grains in center and then tie it off at the top.

That's my only idea. The other thing you could do it just toss the grains in the water, then put some cheesecloth inside a strainer and strain into a containment vessel, sparge and then put back in your kettle.

Dan

Panty hose--preferably new, but....

Knee highs are good, or cut that part form a regular pair.

Or, don't use a bag, and strain with a strainer.

Honestly, I would use a sock. Rinse it in something that is low odor first though. The issue isn't sanitation, the issue is the perfumes in normal detergents. That, and also the foam-killing power of many detergents.

Nevertheless, I would use a sock.

Thanks for the ideas, I ran to the store and bought some cheesecloth. I also think that Grain Bag Imposters would be a great band name! Brew on.

Back