Grain amounts in 10 gal. cooler MLT setup for allgrain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olaf

Reaction score
Hello all!

Woohoo! I am some tubing and a fitting or two from having my allgrain system set up. I am using Rubbermaid 10 gal coolers in my system. I also have a 10 gallon pot for boiling the wort. I figured on doing 7-8gallon batches each time. I'm curious though, for those out there with a similar setup, what is the largest amount (weight wise) of grain anyone has ever been able to mash in coolers like these? From what I have seen on various forums I am aware that as you go higher in gravity there is more grain and that translates into smaller batches in the end depending on ones brewing setup. How far off base am I?

Thanks
O

You are really going to be pushing things if you go for 8 G in a 10G pot. That is very close to the starting volume you will need, and if you have any sort of hot break, lets just say I hope you are outside! Seriously though, the most I have mashed is 20 lbs in my 10 gallon cooler. I had a little room to spare and I run a thin mash 1.5qt:1lbs. If I wanted to run a mash that is just a bit thicker I could hit 25 lbs. The beer I made with 20 lbs came out at 1.058 OG and finished at 5.9% ABV. I don't really want 10 gallons of anything stronger than that.

Hello all!

Woohoo! I am some tubing and a fitting or two from having my allgrain system set up. I am using Rubbermaid 10 gal coolers in my system. I also have a 10 gallon pot for boiling the wort. I figured on doing 7-8gallon batches each time. I'm curious though, for those out there with a similar setup, what is the largest amount (weight wise) of grain anyone has ever been able to mash in coolers like these? From what I have seen on various forums I am aware that as you go higher in gravity there is more grain and that translates into smaller batches in the end depending on ones brewing setup. How far off base am I?

Thanks
O

7-8 gallons means a pre-boil of what, 8 - 9.5 gallons? Better get some Fermcap

Scroll down to the bottom - Can I mash it?

Just enter weight and liquor to grist ratio and it kicks out how many gallons your mash will take up. It defaults on 1.25, which is what most people are doing.

Back