Grain absorption rate, flaked barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
Did my 2nd all grain brewday this past Sunday, dry irish stout. 9.975lg total grain with 1.5 lb flaked barley in that total. I used .125gal/lb absorbtion (first time i used .1 and was a little low) plus .25gal dead space. That gave me 4.75gal strike water to get about 3.25gal first runnings, but I only got 3gal. I sparged with 3.75gal and got all 3.75 out for total of 6.75gal.
I am trying to get my equipment dialed in. I was wondering if the flaked barley absorbs more than other grains? I don't want to change my absorption rate to 0.15 only to be too high on my next brew.
Also, milled the exact same as prior.
I did find a lot of small grain particles under the false bottom which I did not have after my first all grain. I used 12oz of carapils too and since it is so hard, I wondered if it crushes tiny and got through?
Anyone have some experience wisdom?
Thanks

It's possible but the amount you are talking about is negligible IMO. .12 is pretty standard, if you are thinking that every beer will be exact, forget it, close is good, exact is pretty impossible IME :)

Back