Graff recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebrewedsoIbrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have recently been getting into cider and loving it all, I recently heard of graff and I'm interested in making it, I was wondering if anyone has or could point me to any good graff recipes? I would appreciate it a ton! thanks! :mug:

Here's BrandonO's original graff recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

It's the best place to start I think, it will give you a baseline to work from for developing other graff recipes. I've been playing with the basic graff recipe for a while now & have several recipes I'm willing to share, but I don't have my brewlog with me at the moment; I'll post a few later though.
Regards, GF.

Here is a Graff recipe I like:
6 GALLON BATCH.
1.5 lbs light LME
1.5 LBS amber LME
3/4 lb. CaraMunich (60L.)
1oz torrified wheat
1 oz US Goldings hops (4.2%aa) 1/2 added at beginning of boil, have added at 40 mins.
2 teaspoons caraway seed; 1 in the boil, the other added to primary.
2 (12 oz.) cans FAJC (frozen apple juice concentrate) added to primary.
2 (12 oz.) cans FWGJC (frozen white grape juice concentrate) added to primary.
Yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & DAP (diammonium phosphate) in proper amounts (as indicated on pkg.
5.25 Gallons apple juice

Steep grain in .75 Gallon water @ 156*F. for 50 mins. Remove grain & allow to drip 15 mins.
Boil 50 mins.
Mix up the rest of the must in a bucket fermentor & add hot wort to cold juice in bucket. & allow to come back to pitching temp.
I use 1 packet Nottingham yeast & only rehydrate before pitching.
You can contain the caraway seed in a hop sack if you want. Leave 2nd teaspoon of caraway seed in primary (or secondary if you prefer) for 1 month. The longer you leave it in, the stronger the caraway flavor. If you don't like caraway, you can omit it.
If you plan on aging more than 6 months, you might consider dry hopping; Goldings hop flavor will eventually fade after that.
Age at least 2 months, then bottle.

I'll post another graff recipe later when I have more time.
Regards, GF.

Here's BrandonO's original graff recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

It's the best place to start I think, it will give you a baseline to work from for developing other graff recipes. I've been playing with the basic graff recipe for a while now & have several recipes I'm willing to share, but I don't have my brewlog with me at the moment; I'll post a few later though.
Regards, GF.

+1 to this recipe. I've made it a few times and it's pretty great. Like GF I've started using it as a baseline for modified versions of the recipe, but the original version is great as-is, so I would start there.

Here's another recipe I like:

6 GALLON BATCH
4 Lbs. amber LME.
1/2 Lb. honey malt.
1 Lb. 2 row.
4 oz flaked oats.
2 Lbs raisins, chopped; contain in a mesh sack.
4 cans (12 oz.) FAJC.
1Tablespoon acid blend.
1 oz Goldings (4.2%aa) hops, add all @ start of boil.
5 gallons apple juice.
Yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & DAP (follow pkg directions).
1 dose pectic enzyme (follow pkg directions).
I've used both Nottingham & US-05 for this recipe, both work very well.

Mash grain in 1 gallon water @ 155*F. for 1 hr.
Boil 40 mins.
Add hot wort to cold juice in bucket fermenter & allow it to come to pitching temp.
I like to ferment this at 65*F. for about 1 week, then remove the raisins. wait 2 more weeks, then rack to secondary & wait for it to clear. Then either bulk age in tertiary or prime & bottle.
Regards, GF.

Wow Gee I had almost forgotten I had made this thread lol. Thanks for posting your recipes GF, Much appreciated! I'll definitely take a look into all of them.

Wow Gee I had almost forgotten I had made this thread lol. Thanks for posting your recipes GF, Much appreciated! I'll definitely take a look into all of them.

You're welcome! BTW, my recipes, work out to a bit more than 6 gallons. I do this on purpose to compensate for loss of liquid due to racking & hydrometer samples. Most of my bucket fermenters are 7.5 gallon, so there's plenty of room.
Regards, GF.

You're welcome! BTW, my recipes, work out to a bit more than 6 gallons. I do this on purpose to compensate for loss of liquid due to racking & hydrometer samples. Most of my bucket fermenters are 7.5 gallon, so there's plenty of room.
Regards, GF.

Too bad for me, I only have one three gallon carboy D: looks like I will have to scale down the recipes.

Haven't pulled the trigger on Graff yet, but thanks for posting variations of the OP recipe.
A liking to Redd's Apple Ale got me into homebrewing, but it doesn't have any hint of beer to me.
A year after changing shifts for a new job, I'm just now adjusting to when I can brew and get back to my cider/graff quest. Rambling now.
Anyway,
Thanks again

Back