Graff Bread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandsomeRyan

Reaction score
Note: I hope this isn't too off topic but I was afraid if I posted it anywhere but the cider forum that many of the cider enthusiasts might miss it.

After brewing another 10g double batch of Graff I decided I needed to explore options besides just drinking it all. This led me to some searching for other cider products and the creation of:

Graff Bread

• 1 bottle of Graff (hard cider)
• 2 Tbsp softened butter
• 3 cups bread flour
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 tsp dry active yeast

1. Put all ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions and set for dough cycle (Generally: wets, fats, flours, other dry items, yeast)

2. When dough cycle ends, put dough in well-greased loaf pan and punch down.

3. Cover dough and let rise for ~30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F

4. Bake bread for about 40 minutes. Cover loosely with foil after 30 minutes if browning too much.

5. Remove bread from pan and cool completely on a wire rack

After making a loaf of this bread I have to say that drinking it may become only my second favorite thing to do with my home brewed cider. The apple taste is subtle but certainly there. This bread is sweet enough for breakfast but neutral enough to be served with a savory meal as well. I haven't tried yet but I believe some mind-blowingly good french toast could also be produced from this loaf.

cider_bread2.jpg

Stolen picture of someone else's bread because I didn't photograph my own. This is exactly what it looks like though.

FAQ's:

Q: Do you have to use Graff?
A: Anything too high gravity (>10-12% ABV) might kill or stunt the bread yeast but really any cider from plain (non-hard) grocery store cider to any home brew hard cider should work okay.

Q: What if I don't own a bread machine?
A: Buy one! I got my bread machine in like-new condition for $10 off craigslist but I know there is always a pile of them at the local thrift store too. For $10 the bread maker has already paid for itself after only a few 'specialty loaves' that would cost $3-5 at the store. You can also knead the dough by hand but you'll have to look up further instructions for that yourself.

Q: What should I grease the pan with?
A: I used a Pampered Chef stoneware bread pan with a light spray of PAM. Bread popped right out with no problems.

It is important to point out that you can only make the dough in the bread machine. The rising rate of brewers yeast is no where near the same as bread yeast. I tried to make bread with yeast out of my primary and normal settings on the machine and it failed miserably. I would still love to try it again but using the dough settings.
Based on what I did, I'm amazed it rose after 30 minutes. A question on White Labs website suggests letting the bread rise overnight.

Back