Government Waste...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13924780/

Report: DHS employees wasted thousands

Audit: iPods, dog booties, beer-making equipment among expenses

WASHINGTON - The Homeland Security Department wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars last year on iPods, dog booties, beer-making equipment and designer jackets, congressional investigators have concluded.

Among the expenses that investigators described as abusive or otherwise questionable:

A beer brewing kit and ingredients for more than $1,000 for a Coast Guard official to brew alcohol while on duty as a social organizer for the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. "The estimated price for a six-pack of USCG beer was $12," the investigators noted, adding: "Given that the six-pack cost of most beers is far less than $12, it is difficult to demonstrate that the Academy is achieving cost savings by brewing its own beer."

$12 for a Six Pack???? What the hell kind of recipe was that?

don't even get me started on the government...

i have decided to vote against the incumbent from now on, whatever office i am voting for.

my own form of term limitations.... :rockin:

$12 for a Six Pack???? What the hell kind of recipe was that?

$1000 spent on equpiment and ingredients for $2 a bottle of beer . . .

thats about 500 beers or 10 5 gallon batches. Lets say $30 per batch for ingrediants. . .

that leaves $700 for equpiment and bottles

Bottles from Nothern Brewer are about $10 a case and need 19 cases for 500 beers. (we get 2 more cases below) So that leaves $520.

Deluxe starter kit about $140 (2 cases of bottles with that) leaves $380

40qt kettle w/ spiget about $220 leaves $160

10 gallon Deluxe Mash/lauter tun about $205 and puts us over the $1000 by $45

We havent added in shipping, turkey fryers, a chiller, any sanatizer, brushes, racking canes, tubing, or the other little stuff that nickel & dimes us yet . . .

but yeah We shouldnt be paying for his brewing, Got to give him a "A" for the idea though

Oh, I don't know, I think I would rather have some of those monkeys sitting around thinking about the next beer they are going to make then have them cooking up new ways to put the screws on Joe Average.

Back