Gotta Get Up to Get Down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bukbonzai

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
So, I just got back from a trip to Memphis a couple weeks ago, and we had an event at WiseAcres. I tried the "Gotta Get Up To Get Down" Milk Coffee Stout and fell in love. I brought back some on the plane with me and needless to say, it made it a whole two days in my fridge.

So heres the thing. I need something to hold me over til my next trip to Memphis! They cannot ship, I cannot get, so I want to make something similar. A clone, if you will.

And I am starting with no direction so I am of course, lost.

According to their site, here is the info given.

Malts: Two Row, Roasted Barley, Rolled Oats, Lactose Sugar
(Coffee beans - The descriptor provided is below)
Yeast: Ale
Bittering Hops: Bravo
ABV: 5%
IBU: 15
OG: 13 Plato
FG: 3.7
"Magical natural process beans from the Konga region of Ethiopia lead the way in this beautiful coffee stout. This rare variety of coffee leads to aromas of sweet roastiness and flavors of blueberry pie. Lactose, or milk sugar, is added along with oats for a silky medium body and a lush finish."

I guess my first question is where do I start here? I have never AG, so I would prefer to try this Extract, but would love any advice anyone can give. Like I said, I just need something to hold me over til my next trip to Memphis. :D

Thanks everyone!

Assuming their description is accurate, it looks like a really simple recipe. Sweet stouts are often made with crystal malt too but it appears this one is not.

Not sure about extract but for all-grain you might try something like this:

75% Two Row
10% Roasted Barley
5% Rolled Oats
10% Lactose

I'm basing this on what I've read in Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Beers.

If you have brewing software you should be able to work out the actual quantities to get you to an OG of 1.053. The FG is 1.014--relatively low for a sweet stout, which why I only suggested 10% lactose.

You'll have just one hop addition--however much Bravo you need at 60 minutes to hit 15 IBU.

The two row and Bravo hops give this an American feel so I'd suggest a basic American ale yeast like US 05, WLP001 or 1056.

I would mash it low because the FG is low, particularly with lactose added.

The coffee would be added during secondary.

For extract I suppose you would just swap the two row for pale ale extract. Steep everything but the extract and lactose, both of which you'd add to the boil.

Assuming their description is accurate, it looks like a really simple recipe. Sweet stouts are often made with crystal malt too but it appears this one is not.

Not sure about extract but for all-grain you might try something like this:

75% Two Row
10% Roasted Barley
5% Rolled Oats
10% Lactose

I'm basing this on what I've read in Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Beers.

If you have brewing software you should be able to work out the actual quantities to get you to an OG of 1.053. The FG is 1.014--relatively low for a sweet stout, which why I only suggested 10% lactose.

You'll have just one hop addition--however much Bravo you need at 60 minutes to hit 15 IBU.

The two row and Bravo hops give this an American feel so I'd suggest a basic American ale yeast like US 05, WLP001 or 1056.

I would mash it low because the FG is low, particularly with lactose added.

The coffee would be added during secondary.

For extract I suppose you would just swap the two row for pale ale extract. Steep everything but the extract and lactose, both of which you'd add to the boil.

Compliments on the above post.

I need to revise my suggestions. I was curious so I threw these numbers into my brewing software and realized that there is no way to reach an FG of 1.014 with lactose at 10%. I would halve that. Even then, this needs to be mashed very low and probably for 90 minutes to ensure a highly fermentable wort.

Based on that, I would suggest:

80% two row
10% roasted barley
5% rolled oats
5% lactose

If you scale this recipe to 1.053 and assume a highly fermentable wort, you can get to 1.014 as per the brewery's description.

Thank you very much!
That was a very concise and intelligent response! Extremely helpful!!
You are a gentleman and a scholar!! :D

Thanks again! I will update with results.

I've had GGU2GD in cans before and it was great. I had it on draft Wednesday night in Nashville, and it just awesome! The coffee flavor is simply amazing. Wiseacre notes that they use rare, Ethiopian Konga region coffee beans in the beer. The coffee notes and flavor in this beer are better than any I've had before, and really make this beer great.

Any thoughts on the coffee portion of this recipe?? I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur, so I wouldn't know where to start with what type of Konga region beans to use. GIS yields several different kinds that can be ordered via the Interwebs. I've no idea where to start.

Great work on the recipe build by robcj, btw! :)

Well, I brewed & kegged my attempt at GGU2GD! It tastes great! My wife says its my best homebrew yet! I ran out of ice on brew day and got impatient after 2 hours trying to cool it down. I ended up pitching yeast with temp still at 80 degrees F. My temp corrected OG was 1.073 & FG was 1.030. Color turned out lighter than I expected even after adding all the coffee at keg time. This is the recipe I used in Brewer's Friend, the crystal & chocolate malt I just had left over from before:

Method: BIAB
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.94 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.043 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.053 Final Gravity: 1.016 ABV (standard): 4.96% IBU (tinseth): 14.88 SRM (morey): 29.15
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
8 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 72.7%
1 lb American - Roasted Barley 33 300 9.1%
0.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 4.5%
1 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) - (late addition) 41 1 9.1%
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 2.3%
0.25 lb American - Chocolate 29 350 2.3%
11 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Bravo Pellet 15.5 Boil 16 min 14.88