Gotta b the crush right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
In short my usual lhbs closed months ago and batch sparge in a coleman cooler with false bottom and I always hit my nimbers If not went over by couple points. They closed. Now new lhbs I’ve missed every OG I shoot for and I use beersmith and bru’n water with RO water to make my beers, also their mostly neipas. I bought some grains from northern brewer when **** hit the fan and both beers I made with their crush were spot on and one I over shot And the crush was only singled milled but def finer looking. Now my new lhbs is back I bought two batches of grain, brewed today and even lowered my efficiency in beersmith and I hit all my volumes and still came up short By 6-8pts in my og. So it’s gotta be the crush right. I mean 18.25lbs of grain I feel should yield more than a potentially 7.5% neipa. Time to finally buy a mill I think. Anyth8ng I could be missing besides the crush.

do you normally do beers that big? 18.25lb's for a 5 gallon batch is a lot....that's pretty much what i use for a 10 gallon batch...for an OG of 1.060

do you normally do beers that big? 18.25lb's for a 5 gallon batch is a lot....that's pretty much what i use for a 10 gallon batch...for an OG of 1.060

well first my efficiency Is not great Never has been so I normally set in beersmith Is their 68% but I was aiming for per beersmith a 1.078 OG. Came in at 1.070 and I mashed in with 8gal at 154 and sparged with 4 gal. Wanted to finish boil at 6.25 gal which i did to put 5.75gal into fermenter. I DDH these so I lose vol there so I put atleast 5+ in the keg. After adjusting all that in beersmith it still had my OG at 1.078 and I came up way short.

when i do my 10 gallon batches, i use 20lb's malt...7 gallons strike water, and sparge with 10.....big beers notoriously get bad effec.....

how big's your pot? could you sparge a big batch more and do a two hour boil on it?

I have a 10 gal upright Coleman cooler with a jay bird false bottom. So I’ll pull off 3.5 -4 gal first running then spare and collect the rest for my 10gal boil kettle and I use a propane burner so it’s not a herms system it’s a bayou burner.

Back