Quantcast

Gott cooler manifold construction

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

[email protected]

Reaction score
Looking for an easy way to build a copper or PVC tube manifold for 5gal gott cooler mash tun-any pictures sure would help

Any way I can use the existing spigot?

Janx

Reaction score
Looking for an easy way to build a copper or PVC tube manifold for 5gal gott cooler mash tun-any pictures sure would help

You don't want to use the existing spigot. It won't stand up to the heat. It unscrews really easily, though, and you just stick a rubber stopper in the hole and run a pipe out through the hole in the stopper.

There are some pictures of my manifold somewhere. I'll post em again here. Basically, just make yourself a loop of any heat resistant food grade tubing and poke a bunch of little holes in the bottom of it. Plumb that into your outlet of your cooler and you're all set. I used a Gott cooler for my first mash tun until it delaminated the lining from all the heat ;)

Kephren

Reaction score
wood[email protected] said:

I'm going to try my first all-grain tomorrow. I stopped by my local HBS and told him what I was thinking of building (Gott cooler, stainless steel supply hose, spigot). He told me that was way too much work and sold me this http://store.brewhut.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=139 for $18 and a 5 gallon cooler for $25. Then he assembled the whole thing for me! The false bottom fits the cooler perfectly. Here's the best part - after he made my mash tun for me and assembled my ingredients for an all-grain steam beer, he "bought" me a pint of his homebrew that he's always got on tap at his shop. All being said, out the door including my next batch - $85. Is everyone's HBS owner this good or am I just lucky? www.renohomebrewer.com

hawktrap74

Reaction score
So basically the manifold is gonna be you strainer right? If thats the case how could I make my self a sparging manifold. That seems to be my only problem is sparging my mash tun. I have seen some pics of a T type. Does anybody have one and give me a little info. Thanks again.
P.S. Everything I have learned has been through this forum. I am very grateful Thank you especially Janx.

Janx

Reaction score
No problem.

Those Phil's Sparge arms that spin like a little sprinkler are probably the T things you have seen. I really like them. They work great. For $15, it's an easy solution.

Cheers! :D

Janx

Reaction score
You just hook a water line to them...I think it's a barbed fitting, and let the sparge water gravity feed into the sparge sprinkler. The flowing water causes it to spin, and voila. It's a really simple contraption that does a great job.

hawktrap74

Reaction score
now im pretty low on funds, do you think i can build one. my only problem would be the swinging motion of the arm. is this something that i could fabricate.

Janx

Reaction score
It's a pretty prescision little device. The tricky part would be drilling the holes in the sprinkler arm. They are angled and that's what causes it to spin. It's a very light, balanced arm.

If you go check one out at the HBS, you'll have a feeling for what's involved. I can't really imagine you could get the parts and build one for less than $15 (maybe they're cheaper than this), but who knows. You'd need some really delicate drill press or something to drill those holes in a tiny little pipe.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i got my cooler!!! a ten gallon igloo for 20 bucks at gander mountain... i was peicing copper fittings together at home depot to make a manifold... i can get by on the cheap, and i think construct a 'ghetto' wort chiller too ;)

getting excited now! especially since the temp has broken sixty F and i'll be moving the operation outdoors...