Got the hops mixed up and in at wrong times.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering how much some people might think this will change the flavor profile. I'm doing a pumpkin porter/stout recipe. Calls for .75 Galena at beginning and .5 Fuggle at 30 min and again at 10min. I accidentally put .5 Fuggle in at the beginning and the .75 Galena at 30min. I know its probably not a huge deal but would like some opinions on how it will alter the flavor of final product. Thanks.

Your IBUs will be different by a decent margin. Galena is in the 12-14% alpha acid range and Fuggles is around 5%.

Sometimes mistakes are happy mistakes (copyright Bob Ross)

+1 to all the above. Call it pumpkin pie porter and serve it to friends and family at Thanksgiving. Cheers!

I agree that the pumpkin will usually be more dominate. I made one a month ago and it's been in the bottle for at least two weeks and I'm seriously waiting until the pumpkin mellows out. A pumpkin ale I made took at least 4 weeks to be just right and that was with adding the pumpkin to the mash. With all this being said I doubt you'll be able to tell much, depending on when you added the pumpkin, how much you added, how it was prepared, and how you added it.

You picked a good recipe for this type of mistake. The malty and pumpkin flavor will dominate regardless.

If it were a different beer where you wanted the bittering from the Galena and the flavor and aroma of the Fuggles it would be way different than intended, since the bittering and flavor components of those two hops are very different.

I expect that the beer, though different than intended should be very good.

Here's the weird thing. The recipe didn't call for any actual pumpkin. I got it from the largest brew supply store here (homebrewstuff). The guys there said not to add any because it wasn't in the ingredients, assuming it was a pumpkin recipe because of the spices added (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves). I was going to add pumpkin but this is only my third brew and thought I'd try it without and see if I wanted to tweak it. They swore that the pumpkin flavor wouldn't show up which I thought was strange. Thanks for all the response, greatly appreciated.

Here's the weird thing. The recipe didn't call for any actual pumpkin. I got it from the largest brew supply store here (homebrewstuff). The guys there said not to add any because it wasn't in the ingredients, assuming it was a pumpkin recipe because of the spices added (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves). I was going to add pumpkin but this is only my third brew and thought I'd try it without and see if I wanted to tweak it. They swore that the pumpkin flavor wouldn't show up which I thought was strange. Thanks for all the response, greatly appreciated.

I did a pumpkin ale with pumpkin meat. I took a pumpkin, removed the seeds and roasted it until the edges were turning golden brown. I scooped out 8 pounds of pulp and added it to my mash. It had a slight pumpkin flavor. My next, I'll cook more and use more.

The spiced ones without actual pumpkin are called "pumpkin ales' but I would just call them "holiday spiced" Since I do not really like spiced beers I didn't add any of them to my beer.

Whether you add ingredients or not is up to you. Though you do need some idea of what will happen. Otherwise you might make something you don't want to drink.

Even in pumpkin pie, the flavor we associate with pumpkin is only really the spices. That's why your LHBS suggested that you don't actually need to add pumpkin. They were right (and that's a huge statement coming from me, I am usually very, very skeptical of LHBS advice). It's why Starbucks' pumpkin latte is only spices and food coloring. I know this because I accidentally spilled a pumpkin spice latte on my sister's beige carpet once. It was forever orange.

As was stated, you'll end up with slightly lower IBUs, which is perfectly fine with this type of beer. At a 30 min addition, it's fairly unlikely that the fuggles would've added very much characteristic compared to the galena. My assumption is that you'll end up with pretty much the same final product. I would even go so far as to say that it would likely take a very trained panel to tell the difference between this ale with the correct additions and you're version.

There's two schools of thought about this. Some say all you need are the spices, others say the pumpkin is essential.

The spices are definitely where the flavor contribution comes from, not the pumpkin as its flavor is very neutral. What I've read about it is that adding actual pumpkin has a significant effect on the mouth feel and body if your beer.

I have six pounds of pumpkin in my spiced pumpkin ale recipe (three pounds in the mash and another three added during the boil) and it gets good reviews from the people that have tried it.

Point is, it's all personal preference and there's no right or wrong way.

I did a pumpkin ale with pumpkin meat. I took a pumpkin, removed the seeds and roasted it until the edges were turning golden brown. I scooped out 8 pounds of pulp and added it to my mash. It had a slight pumpkin flavor. My next, I'll cook more and use more.

A bit of knowledge that I gained was that adding to the mash will result in a mild flavor, but adding to the boil will result in strong flavor even with adding the same amount of pumpkin (Butternut Squash). Adding it to the boil will help save you some money and time, but if you do this I would strongly suggest putting the pumpkin (Butternut Squash) in a mesh bag so you can retrieve it, completely avoiding it making its way into your Fermentation vessel... If you don't put it in a mesh bag you will have at least 3/4 of a gallon of pumpkin trub in there. The boil breaks it down to the point that it would slip through the racking cain or pump. I know you didn't ask anyones opinion but I thought I would share my experience with you.

A bit of knowledge that I gained was that adding to the mash will result in a mild flavor, but adding to the boil will result in strong flavor even with adding the same amount of pumpkin (Butternut Squash). Adding it to the boil will help save you some money and time, but if you do this I would strongly suggest putting the pumpkin (Butternut Squash) in a mesh bag so you can retrieve it, completely avoiding it making its way into your Fermentation vessel... If you don't put it in a mesh bag you will have at least 3/4 of a gallon of pumpkin trub in there. The boil breaks it down to the point that it would slip through the racking cain or pump. I know you didn't ask anyones opinion but I thought I would share my experience with you.

Thank you. I did read up on different techniques before I did the brew. I was looking for just a hint of pumpkin and got pretty close to what I wanted. So a little more roasting and a little more pulp and it should be perfect.

BTW I took the same method but used spaghetti squash (peppery flavor) and fermented with t-58 (peppery flavor). It was awesome!

Thank you. I did read up on different techniques before I did the brew. I was looking for just a hint of pumpkin and got pretty close to what I wanted. So a little more roasting and a little more pulp and it should be perfect.

BTW I took the same method but used spaghetti squash (peppery flavor) and fermented with t-58 (peppery flavor). It was awesome!

What temp and how long did you roast your spaghetti squash? I also heard that some people use acorns..

What temp and how long did you roast your spaghetti squash? I also heard that some people use acorns..

I don't recall exactly but maybe 350 degrees for 30 minutes or so. I would watch it and go by the caramelized color on the edges.

Spaghetti squash is easier to tell when done. Take a fork stick it in the "meat" and twist, if it comes apart like spaghetti easily it is done enough. A little more for a caramelized flavor.

Back