Got my water report and did Bru'n water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helg56

Reaction score
Do my results look like they are in-line with what they should be with the minerals I will be adding?

Here are my results from Ward Labs, I have very hard water it seems.

pH 7.7
TDS Est 370
EC 0.62
Cations 7.1
Anions 6.9
Sodium 7
Calcium 79
Magnesium 33
Potassium 2
Total Hardness 335
Nitrate 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfur 7
CO3 < 1.0
HCO3 365
Chloride 17
Total Alkalinity 301
Total P 0.28
Total Fe < 0.01

Here is my Bru'n Water Profile:

And here is what I came up with for my water adjustments after playing around with the minerals. I found I could not get the Sulfate up high enough without going way high on other minerals, so I got it close enough I think. But overall I think this is about right... I hope. :D

A few questions:
1.) Is canning salt just your regular table salt?
2.) Is adjusting the sparge water necessary?
3.) What is a good scale to measure these minerals out with? It looks like I need one that will measure down to .1 of a gram increments.
4.) Was this close for my first shot at it?

1) most table salt has iodine. Canning salt is really fine and dissolves much easier. I'd honestly ditch it though, and get your Cl from CaCl (I'd personally rather have more Ca than Na).

2) spare water adjustment is nice for total mineral content in the wort. And you'll for sure want to acidify your sparge water.

3) I got a fine scale that Bobby_M sells and have been very happy with it.

4) profile looks good. What's your mash pH say on the summary sheet?

Yes, I live in New Brighton. Had previously lived in Minneapolis the last 5 years and my first brew here turned out WAY different than I was expecting. I quickly learned the water was much different than what I was used to.

Bru'N Water says my Mash PH will be 5.3, that is with my malts and grains added.

Thank you AZ_IPA for your answers :).

Back