Got my shipment today! one question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
I got all the stuff I was waiting for to try out Orfys Hobgoblin clone today :)

I am going to run out soon and get a floating thermometer and a scale... all I need now.

my question is the wyeast smack pack... 6 days in shipping and they are frozen upon arrival... (about -40 degree Celsius here last night... same as -40 degree Fahrenheit)

are they ruined at all? or will they work out fine when thawed out?

cheers,
:mug:

I would make a starter for sure . Some of the yeast may have survived but not a lot of them. Freezing without glycerine the yeast cell walls can rupture because of the water .

More likely than not the yeast will be fine. I would, however, suggest making a starter with it for two reasons: (1) to be sure that the yeast are alive and well and (2) to build up cell count for fermentation as its likely that during the freeze/thaw process cell count was reduced.

You could just use the yeast as is and will probably be fine but if it were me, I'd make a starter to be sure. If you decide to use the yeast as is, and it doesn't ferment you can always buy a new packet and repitch. Also make sure you judge fermentation by the gravity changing rather than airlock bubbles.

I hope this question is an expansion of this thread and not a hijack.

Regarding the starter, do you use the same yeast that you were going to use for your wort, just start it a few days early? That is to say, the "yeast starter" is not a separate ingredient in and of itself, correct?

My LHBS gives me Bru-Vigor Yeast Food with my yeast, does that do the same job or am I still better off to make a starter?

I have had one batch with liquid yeast that was very lethargic, for lack of a better word, and took 2 weeks to reach FG. That got me thinking about a starter.

Dennis

you can add yeast food to the starter its just a nutrient for the yeast but I would make a starter with 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water . I use a starter for every liquid yeast.And I only use liquid when there is no dry yeast alternative available.

I hope this question is an expansion of this thread and not a hijack.

Regarding the starter, do you use the same yeast that you were going to use for your wort, just start it a few days early? That is to say, the "yeast starter" is not a separate ingredient in and of itself, correct?

My LHBS gives me Bru-Vigor Yeast Food with my yeast, does that do the same job or am I still better off to make a starter?

I have had one batch with liquid yeast that was very lethargic, for lack of a better word, and took 2 weeks to reach FG. That got me thinking about a starter.

Dennis

Correct. Esentially what you're doing is making a mini batch of beer with no hops using the yeast that you bought for your batch. I wouldn't bother with that yeast food. IMHO, its not neceesary. Since you have it, you can toss it in the starter but I wouldn't continue buying it.

Here's a tutorial on how to make a starter:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/

I always use liquid yeast and have made starters, and there is surely a difference in lag time and in some cases the vigor of fermentation.

starter looked okay, bubbling along after 48 hours... made my kit yesterday and the fermentation is well under way, can hear the crackling and bubbling in there and the water in the bung on top is all cloudy and getting clogged up a bit :)

Latest posts

Back