Got my groomsmen some wedding gifts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
So i'm getting hitched on sept 1, 07...... picked up some 2L growlers for my groomsmen!

IMG_5392.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5394.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=120120610326&rd=1&rd=1

They are glass... well built. They are the same ones my local homebrew shop sells for $30 except they are engraved. They were $37 w/ shipping.

now... what to fill them with??? :confused:

yeh... i'm definitely pretty psyched about them! I saw the in person at my LHBS and thought WOW!, then saw this dude on ebay engraving them and had to get my boys a set :)

Those are cool. That's a much more original idea than a flask and they'll probably get more use of them anyway.

yeh... flasks are cheesy IMHO. Its nice too cause two of these guys homebrew, and the other two are thinking about trying it...

I think the Apfelwein would be nice. I think it's more widely accepted vs. a particular style of beer... unless you KNOW they like a particular brew. Has anyone verified if it's safe to naturally carb in these things? I thought I read no.

Its got a beefy gasket on there that does hold pressure. Its clamped down pretty tight . It would be real easy to make an an extra 2.5 gallons of apfelwein...

I suppose you could force carb in the keg, then fill the growlers from there. Certainly would be safer. Just purge em with CO2 before and after filling and they'll probably keep for a few days. I'm sure they can hold some pressure, but I think bottles undergo much higher pressure before carbonation occurs.

I naturally carb in growlers all the time. I don't have any that are engraved, so it's possible that engraving them could weaken them. Every batch of beer I make, I fill at least 1 growler, this past batch I did 3 growlers. It all depends on how many bottles I want to cap.

These are no rubber neck bottles or anything... they are heavy pieces of glass with a very solid feeling handle. The only concern I would have is the main gasket leaking. I can smear on a touch of keg lube to be extra sure but I dont think there will be any problems with pressure in them. If a little grolsch bottle can hold the pressure, these things absolutely can!

Wow, great idea! Those look superb!

I got my groomsmen personalised Capcatchers from here. Great little company and they work perfectly. We even got one for just the wife and I and it gets used just about daily. :mug:

oh, and i have a growler or similar (but less fancy) design to those. I tried to condition some cider in it once but was unsuccessful. Perhaps keg lube would help, or maybe there's some other trick to it. I'd love to know if you figure it out!

Congrats on the wedding, and nice job on the growlers! Those are really classy, and strangely appropriate, gifts for groomsman! I have been a groomsman 8 times and I can only easily remember one of the gifts I got -- I wouldn't have forgotten that one, though!

Hell, I've forgotten what I gave my groomsmen for a gift only a short 2.5 yrs ago, and probably couldn't have told you only a year later. Great idea!!! I need to pick up some growlers just for the heck of it. They are cool looking.

Back