Got my gear!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
Well here it is:

random3013.jpg

Thanks Dad!

Any last minute tips before I get started?

and 2 great mixes to go with it! which are you going with first? I was a little curious about the American Micro Pale myself,. i think you should go with that. :)

Nice!

1. Make a detailed step by step checklist and use it (actually check things off as you go)
2. Using this checklist, make beer.

Seriously, a checklist is very helpful.

That's probably some pretty good advice. Unfortunately, I've never been a checklist kind of guy. I'm more of a "do it the wrong way several times, and learn from your mistakes," kind of guy.

Do the checklist thing!

I am planning to do the American Micro Pale Ale first for sure. Time to go clean and santize everything and get started.

So beautiful it almost makes me weepy.... Looking at a gear / recipe kit is like looking at your pregnant wife... you know that if you wait long enough something wonderful is gonna happen.

very nice. looks very similar to my original setup. my recommendation is to keep a brewing journal from day1. either in a notebook or online. it's nice to be able to go back and look at what/how you brewed a beer. it gets hard to remember after a few years of brewing!

Just under 2 teaspoons for Iodophor to three gallons of water? Right amount for sanitizing?

Wait are we talking US Gallons or Imperial Gallons? I have 3 US Gallons of water... It says 3/10 oz per 3 gallons...

thats US gallons I'm grabbing my bottle now

According to my bottle you want just 11.5 ml and your says 9 ml thats a strange one maybe the concentration is different to account for our different measurements oz, and ml

Ok here is a rundown of the steps in my brew kit:

1. Cleanse and Sanitize
2. Add 2 gallons of water to pot. Steep grains at 160-170 for 20 minutes and remove, then discard
3. Boil the 2 gallons in the brew pot. Add Malt Extract. Stir and return to boil. Add Bittering Hops. Boil 55 minutes, then add finishing hops for 5 more minutes boiling
4. Cool wort to 70 degrees, add to fermentor
5. Add 3 gallons water to fermentor.

That sound right? I was thinking of swapping to 4 gallons for the first part, and adding 1 gallon of pre-boiled and cooled water. That work too?

I'd follow the instructions in the kit. The hop utilization changes based on the boil size.

It can't hurt to rehydrate the yeast....that being said I don't do it just out of lazyness

I would recommend reading the Beginner and Intermediate sections of the book. There is a wealth of information in there that will make things a lot easier as you get into this. After you brew your first batch make sure that you save a few because when you think that you effed it up: RDWHAHB (as Papazian sez).

I'm more of a "do it the wrong way several times, and learn from your mistakes," kind of guy.

That isn't the only way?

One thing that has helped me is assuming that it will take me twice as long as I thought. This way I can take things really slow. Slow is good.

ahh...can't wait to get my kit...i'm torn between ordering now or waiting until I can find time to get to the brew store....GAHHHHHH! I may just order asap.

Back