Got my full water profile but still confused!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGuyRyan

Reaction score
I tried entering in all the info I have using the tools and calculators but I still cant seem to make heads or tails on what additions I need to make for my water! I want to brew Pliny this weekend and want the best conditions possible so if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it! Here is what I got. And I do have a carbon filter that I run all my water through first. The report has about 20 more items but I don’t see any charts that ask for more.

From my tap.
PH 7.69
Total Alkalinity CaCO3 101
Chloride 14.6
Sulfate 28.2
Hardness CaCO3 146
Magnesium 13.3
Sodium 7.8
Calcium 36.7

What is the difference with the two CaCO3's? I know that we have hard water here and I do use the 5.2 powder in my mash. Do these numbers look like I need to worry about anything else. I mainly brew Belgians and Stouts but have recently been going for Pale and now IPA's. I am just looking for water that is neutral for all beers or a close to neutral that I can get if that is possible.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Ryan

Water has come up a lot in the last few days, I suggest to listen to the 4 podcast that the brewing network did a while back. John Palmer does an excellent job explaining the function of different water profiles and how to adjust for different styles of beer. As well as above, look into palmer's how to brew. He does a good job in the book, as well as has the nomographs on where your water profile fits in.
If I had some more free time, I could punch your numbers in, and let you know what your water is suited for. If no one else does, I will check back, and give you a little more help, but in the mean time, look up palmers info, after that you won't need me anyways.

According to palmers RA spreadsheet, your water is suited for beers that have a color in the range of 10-15 SRM, with a tendency to enhance the bitterness in beer. This may not help, but it is a start. Listen to the podcasts on the brew network and you will be all set.

now using the ez-calculator what Alkalinity do I enter the total number or the hardness since they are both listed as CaCO3 on my report? I have listened to the first two parts of brew strong and hell I think I am more confused!

Your number for Total Alkalinity is what you want to put in the EZ spreadsheet. This is just a swag at it. You can go pretty high on the sulfate for an IPA apparently. Randy Mosher likes sulfates over 300 for his "ideal" pale ale. In that regard, you could go with a gram of gypsum per gallon.

Starting Water:
Ca: 37 ppm
Mg: 13 ppm
Na: 8 ppm
Cl: 14 ppm
SO4: 28 ppm
CaCO3: 101 ppm

Mash Vol: 1 gal
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments PER GALLON of water.
CaCO3: 0 grams
CaSO4: 0.5 grams