Got my first good look at all-grain today....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...This is what I've been putting off? :D I can do that!!!
I really can't believe I haven't listened more closely, cause if you have 2 more hours in your brew day you can certainly do it with no problems. I was blown away. My local HBS had an all-grain class today, so I sat through it. I liked it. To me, THAT is brewing. To phrase what someone else said a while back, extract I felt like I was making the chocolate chip cookies with the bag of ingredients you get from the grocery store, add an egg and water and you have cookies. Uh-uh. No more. I might do one last extract recipe but from there on out its not looking back!!!!

orrelse said:
I really can't believe I haven't listened more closely, cause if you have 2 more hours in your brew day you can certainly do it with no problems. I was blown away. My local HBS had an all-grain class today, so I sat through it. I liked it. To me, THAT is brewing. To phrase what someone else said a while back, extract I felt like I was making the chocolate chip cookies with the bag of ingredients you get from the grocery store, add an egg and water and you have cookies. Uh-uh. No more. I might do one last extract recipe but from there on out its not looking back!!!!

right on dude.

orrelse said:

Why do I have the strange feeling that some money is about to leave my wallet and my garage will soon have even less usable space? :D

Looking forward to chatting with you about it.....

Seeing the process is so helpful, huh? It's no biggie at all once you assemble the equipment. Good luck in your new brewing adventures! :D

Janx said:
Seeing the process is so helpful, huh? It's no biggie at all once you assemble the equipment. Good luck in your new brewing adventures! :D

I can't wait. I'm doing one last extract recipe because I have half the ingredients ordered and I'm dying to brew a batch. I'm doing the SNPA clone out of BYO, which sounds great to me. All of a sudden I can't get enough Pale Ales.

I'm going to build most of my AG equipment though, so it might even be another month before I'm ready to go. I doubt I can wait that long but we'll see. I've suddenly got a long list of equipment to buy. Its just that there's now too much month at the end of the money. :D

When I was doing partial mashes I was concerned about going AG, but once I started I never looked back. Yes, it takes longer, but in the end it is very satisfying to know you took malted grain and made your own beer. It's like brewing for the first time again. Enjoy!!!!

seven77 said:
lol, can someone make a video or something? Dammit, I keep putting it off too.

I'm seriously thinking of doing a DVD that would be an intro to all-grain...think there would be any interest?

Janx said:
I'm seriously thinking of doing a DVD that would be an intro to all-grain...think there would be any interest?

Not just "Yes", "Hell, yes!" :D

As I began scrolling through this thread, I thought to myself, "I wonder if there are any 'how-to' VHS's or DVD's out there on the subject. In my other hobby, model railroading, I learned a lot and drew a lot of inspiration on making model scenery after viewing a VHS of a 'how-to' clinic on the subject. It was $24.95 well spent, IMO.

As the saying goes, seeing is believing.

Rhoobarb said:
Not just "Yes", "Hell, yes!" :D

As I began scrolling through this thread, I thought to myself, "I wonder if there are any 'how-to' VHS's or DVD's out there on the subject. In my other hobby, model railroading, I learned a lot and drew a lot of inspiration on making model scenery after viewing a VHS of a 'how-to' clinic on the subject. It was $24.95 well spent, IMO.

As the saying goes, seeing is believing.
Rhoobarb, Plainfield, eh!! Get ahold of me, I live in Crystal Lake. A few of us get together and brew and you'd be welcome to come out and help us brew and sample some too. We generally get together about once a month for a group brew , so PM me if your interested.

a video that would be swell, seeing is believing and knowledge is power.im definitly hands on if i see it, it clicks. sometimes reading something and trying to figure it out you say what the hell is he talking about. but i would buy it.

Janx said:

oh yeah. That'd be great.

edit: As long as you explain everything as you go. Even the simple things, 'cause I'm one of those people who tend to miss the obvious things. I can pay-pal you some cash for it whenever you get it done!

I remember having the same feeling... "is THAT all there is to it??"... There's really nothing wrong with extract brewing. People do it because they don't have the time... the space....the equipment.... And you can end up with a GREAT beer from extract. But if you have the space, and time to go all-grain, you won't ever regret it. To me, it's almost a spiritual thing. You can take four simple ingredients, time, and knowlege, and make a bev that's nourished people since before the pharoahs. How much closer to mother nature can you get?

being me i just dont like the darkness i get from extract brewing. plus i dont like the flavor i am getting from the over-carmelized lme. to me its like using bullion cubes to make a stock for soup, yuck.

hawktrap74 said:
being me i just dont like the darkness i get from extract brewing. plus i dont like the flavor i am getting from the over-carmelized lme. to me its like using bullion cubes to make a stock for soup, yuck.

well guy's, i tatsed my first all-grain brew Saturday (hefeweizen) and i am really happy with it. good body, head retention, color and flavor. this one blew up twice during primary ferm too! my second all-grain (amber ale) will be ready this Friday. my OG's and FG's were a little off, but real close. my ABV's are close to what i wanted, so i'm not going to complain. already looking at a three tier brew sculpture. my local HBC has a club blacksmith that biulds them for $300 bucks. all i do is supply the three 15.5 g kegs, temp gauges, propane tank, and burner. he's built about 15-20 of them and they are all working like a charm! nice systems too. can't wait :p

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

hehe you could get the lumber and hardware you need for less than 300 and build it yourself...

relax, have a homebrew, and try not to cut yer fingers off ;)

i got my ghetto all grain system almost ready for her spring maiden voyage!

here's to good homemade beer guys :)

ghetto style thats me it doesnt have to look pretty for me and my beer drinking buddies, if its functual then it works. i would rather spend the three bills on ingredents to make the beer.

t1master said:
hehe you could get the lumber and hardware you need for less than 300 and build it yourself...

relax, have a homebrew, and try not to cut yer fingers off ;)

i got my ghetto all grain system almost ready for her spring maiden voyage!

here's to good homemade beer guys :)

i hear ya guy's, i hear ya. my hood system has made two treks and works pretty good. but can be better and more efficient. there's nothing wrong with it at all. it would just be nice to have the system gravity fed, a burner under each kettle for better temp control, etc. to each his own right? as t1 said, "here's to good homemade beer guys!" :D
if i could figure out how to post a pic, i would post a pic of the systems???? :confused:

DeRoux's Broux

I don't remember the amounts, but the lumber to build mine wasn't exactly free. $300 seems reasonable for a quality welded stand with integrated burners and all that.

I like mine because it's put together with carriage bolts and I can disassemble it into a relatively compact pile of wood to move around if I want to. Something to think about.

Janx said:
I don't remember the amounts, but the lumber to build mine wasn't exactly free. $300 seems reasonable for a quality welded stand with integrated burners and all that.

I like mine because it's put together with carriage bolts and I can disassemble it into a relatively compact pile of wood to move around if I want to. Something to think about.

yea, they are nice sculptures. all square tubing, has wheels on the back legs, and intergrated handles on the front to wheel it around. not too tall and bulky.

how did you post your pic's of the false bottom? :confused:

DeRoux's Broux

Somebody posted this link a while back...there are a bunch of good examples of AG setups with pictures and explainations....
http://brewery.mvlan.net/folder/011/Homebreweries Directory/

One of my favorites is this one...detailed explaination of how to get your AG on. I only wish there were blueprints of the actual stand.
http://xb-70.com/beer/3_tier/

Anyone have a link to pictures of a nice wood setup? I just want ideas on particulars, like burner placement and support. I have some ideas....

rightwingnut said:
Somebody posted this link a while back...there are a bunch of good examples of AG setups with pictures and explainations....
http://brewery.mvlan.net/folder/011/Homebreweries Directory/

One of my favorites is this one...detailed explaination of how to get your AG on. I only wish there were blueprints of the actual stand.
http://xb-70.com/beer/3_tier/

Anyone have a link to pictures of a nice wood setup? I just want ideas on particulars, like burner placement and support. I have some ideas....

hey nut, here's a better pic of the systems our club builds. maybe it'll help?

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

BitterRat said:
Rhoobarb, Plainfield, eh!! Get ahold of me, I live in Crystal Lake. A few of us get together and brew and you'd be welcome to come out and help us brew and sample some too. We generally get together about once a month for a group brew , so PM me if your interested.

Plainfield, IL here too... small world! (Plainfield is a pretty small town, for y'all scratchin' your heads...)

Back