Got my first batch brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korric

Reaction score
As you can see here

10384127_10203937967064315_983606464301247651_n.jpg

Question is. I don't want to bottle. Can I directly keg my beer if I go buy a 5 gallon keg and then force carbonate it for a week at 30psi then release pressure and turn PSI down to 10?

Or... should I just set PSI to 10 and leave it for... 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

Congrats. Let us know how it turns out.

Question is. I don't want to bottle. Can I directly keg my beer if I go buy a 5 gallon keg and then force carbonate it for a week at 30psi then release pressure and turn PSI down to 10?

Or... should I just set PSI to 10 and leave it for... 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

Yes, you can absolutely keg and force carbonate that beer. Be sure to use a siphon and transfer gently as not to oxidate the beer, and purge all of the excess airspace in the keg with CO2.

However, 30psi for a whole week will result in a MASSIVELY overcarbonated beer. I wouldn't leave it at 30psi more than 24 hrs.

I prefer the "set-and-forget" method, which is what you described in the latter. It guarantees the beer will never be over-carbed. Usually ~2 weeks is adequate.

Do 30 psi for the first 24 hours then set it to 10-15 psi depending on the temp your beer is at.

What temp is that beer fermenting at? what yeast did you use?

fermentation temp is very important for producing a beer without off flavors.

It's at 74-75 degrees right now... should I try to find some place cooler?

Don't know the type of yeast... it just says Beer Making Yeast... this was out of a Brooklyn Beer Shop kit..

Don't know the type of yeast... it just says Beer Making Yeast... this was out of a Brooklyn Beer Shop kit..

Hard to say for sure without knowing what kind of yeast and what style of beer, but generally 65-68*F is a safe bet for most ales.

im willing to bet that the temp is too high unless its a saison yeast.

get it in the mid 60s if you can. the beer is going to have off flavors that arent enjoyable if kept that that temp.

OK i but the fermenter into a 5 gallon bucket and filled the bottom with some cold water and put a wet tshirt around the fermenter.. that should keep it cooler

get a fan blowing on it if you have one. the fan will help cool it even more. kinda like a fan blowing on you after you sweat. feels good.

I have some computer fans in my keezer ... Maybe ill go find another 12v adapter and rig another one up

I also put an ice pack down into the water to help... ill keep an eye on the temperature

yeah that does look like a 1 gallon.... id go with a 2.5 or 3 gallon keg if you are going to be doing small batches.

Back