Got Mead!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goggles

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a go at a gallon of Mead this weekend and I'm having a bit of a mare regarding yeast, I used half a teaspoon of champagne yeast (since last time I used a full teaspoon in another brew it was a bit "aggresive" shall we say), trouble is, this is showing very little sign of activity! Do I add another half or not? Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Lester

The amount of yeast pitched won't make a difference to how aggressive the ferment is, as they multiply until there is enough to ferment the available sugars. By under pitching, the yeast have to multiply more before they can get started. Theres no harm in adding the other half teaspoon if you have some available, though it will probably take off by itself if you leave it long enough.

Hence further to Insomniacs post, some meads do go a bit mad to start, often those with a fruit ingredient, and well nourished. If it did seem to be going mad, you can aerate it, as that adds air/O2 which the yeast likes but it should also knock some of the CO2 out of solution...... just start any stirring/aeration slowly. It sounds like you may have a bit of a lag though......

Fatbloke, Insomniac, Thankyou very much! I'm pleased to say that I think she was just a late starter, the yeast was pitched on the friday evening and come sunday I was a little concerned that there was nothing going on, however, monday she was a different story all together! :0) As for the aggresivness I was referring to how the yeast tore thru all of the sugar and resulted in the dryest of dry brews, is this a characteristic of champagne yeast or will all yeasts continue to consume ALL sugars unless we stop them??

Back