Got Good Water - Will Mash!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got the particulars on my tap water from the Des Moines Water Works!!!

Sulfate: 54 mg/L (ppm)
Chloride: 39 mg/L
Sodium: 21 mg/L
Calcium as Ca: 42 mg/L
Magnesium as Mg: 16 mg/L
Bicarbonate alkalinity as CaCO3: 88 mg/L​

I looks like I have water thats comparable to London. Cha Ching :mug:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-2.html

My water passes JP's spec's.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

I got my Rubbermaid Mash/Lauter Tun today too.

Almost ready to do Dude's Pub Ale. Just need ale temps. Still too cold in the basement. As of this evening it still 55'F

I guess I have to do another lager. Probably Chucky P's Helles Muncher partial mash.

:tank:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a local place called Chucke Pee's with good micro-brew's and bland crappy-ass pizza? :cross:

With Dude's pub ale, you might need to pay close attention to pH. I just plugged your numbers into Palmer's spreadsheet and your residual alkalinity is is abou 33. Should be OK for most styles, but if you are going really pale or really dark you might neet some adjustments, not much. His estimated low SRM is about 8 for your water, I don't now what Dude's pub ale is, though. You may need some extra calcium or a bit of acid to get your mash pH perfect, my guess is you'll be fine with nothing though. There's always the FiveStar 5.2. My guess is you can totally ignore everything I've said and you'll be fine.

Matt

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pick up pH papers and a little calcium carbonate & gypsum just in case its not right.

I haven't considered trying to zero in on SRM's yet. I'm just starting to get good grasp of the very basic AG process.

Thanks also for reminding me about his spreadsheet, I haven't looked at it in awhile.

Back