Got free grains and hops, wondering what to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorrie16

Reaction score
I received some free grains and hops, so I have a free brew day on my hands. I'm thinking of making an APA with the recipe below. What do you all think?

10lbs of Belgian Pale Malt
1lb Crystal 40L
1lb Crystal 120L
1.5oz Cascade FWH
1oz East Kent Goldings - 30 min boil
1oz East Kent Goldings - 2 min boil
Harvested US-05

Should be OG = 1.055, SRM = 16.9 (little dark for the style), 43.5 IBUs.

Thanks
Don

Well, it's not an APA with EKG hops- those are definitely "Englishy", but it looks pretty good even so. I'd move the 30 minute addition to 15 minutes, for some EKG flavor.

I would definitely not use a whole pound of 120L in this beer- that would be very strong with burnt raisin flavor and dominate the flavor of the beer.

I'd go with 1 pound of crystal malt, max, so use maybe .75 pound of 40L and .25 pound 120L if you really wanted to use both- otherwise just the 1 pound of 40L for the crystal would be great.

Yooper,

Good point with the English hops not being American. We'll call it an English Pale Ale in that case. I will also remove the C140 or really cut it down and save the rest for another day.

Don

Back