Got a Recipe From Local Brewery and Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I got a recipe from a local large brewery and need help decoding it - what are the following?

Crisp crystal 77 7-8%
Crisp Chocolate 3-4%
Crisp Black 3-4%
Crisp Roast 3-4%

Thanks for your help.. i am really looking forward to this - also how do I know how much to use of each.... i realize it gives a percentage but how do i know how many pounds the recipe is? Maybe i am just being stupid lol.

Thanks

Get a program like Beersmith. You can calculate the percentages on how many gallons you want to make.

I'm assuming there is some 2 row in there also?

yeah absolutely... but what is crisp chocolate, crisp black, and crisp roast?

And are any of them coffee.... cause if not - he forgot to tell me how much coffee was in it lol

I would assume they mean chocolate malt, black barley, and roasted barley. The roasted barley would give you the coffee flavor.

I believe Crisp is a brand name, like Briess or Weyerman.

Not sure what crystal 77 is. Maybe crystal 70?
Chocolate = Chocolate Malt?
Black = Black Patent?
Roast = Roasted barley?

What style of beer is this recipe for? I'm assuming something dark like a stout or porter?

Crisp is the maltster. Think "Brand" if you will

crystal 77 7-8%

Would be a crystal or caramel malt of 77L you could source some or mix up some 60L with 80/90L Use enough to be seven or eight percent of the grist

Chocolate 3-4%

Chocolate Roasted Malt 3 - 4 percent of grist

Black 3-4%

Black Patent Malt 3 to 4 percent of grist

Roast 3-4%

Roasted Barley, 3-4 % of grist

Make up the rest with something like British Pale Malt

What beer is this?

it is an oatmeal porter with coffee added to it.. i think he left out the coffee amount... ohh well Ill email him back.

Sorry for not posting the whole thing.. i dont think he would want his recipe on a forum so I just feel bad posting the whole thing.

I think to know what type of yeast we'd have to see the full malt bill, so we can figure out what would work well with it. However, if it's an oatmeal stout, you probably couldn't go wrong with some Nottingham

yeah he did give me the hops for it in the original recipe. There are only two other ingredients not listed above other than the coffee.

He reponded last night with how much coffee he uses and surprisingly he doesnt cold or hot brew the coffeee.. he just puts the beer on the coffee for no more than 48 hours...

speaking of which do i need to grind the coffee? Just worried about how much coffee will be in my final beers lol I guess that would settle or our be totally not noticeable.

its an oatmeal porter right? wouldn't you have to use 2 row AND some flaked oats? not sure if that was mentioned above.

Grinding or not would make a huge difference. I assume it is ground since it is put on relatively cold for only 48 hours, but I'd ask to be sure.

Oh, and I'm sure Notty would be a good yeast for this.

its an oatmeal porter right? wouldn't you have to use 2 row AND some flaked oats? not sure if that was mentioned above.

there are more ingredients than you see above. Out of respect for the company i did not post anything i understood already.

Back