Got a Partial-Mash Barleywine Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend and I brewed an all-grain british barleywine that we love. You can approximate our five gallon batch like this:

8 lbs light dry malt extract
3 lbs biscuit malt
2 lb of 40-60L crystal malt

1 oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes
1 oz Northern Brewer at 45 minutes
1 oz Kent Goldings at 30 minutes
1 oz Kent Goldings at 15 minutes

White Labs Dry English Ale (starter!!!)

OG ~ 1.092
FG ~ 1.023

The hop additions are designed to give you approximately 72 IBU. Adjust the amounts depending on how you brew (full boil, late extract addition, etc). If you want some more aroma, dry hopping with Goldings would be nice too, although I haven't done this with this recipe yet. If you're opposed to biscuit, substitute with amber or brown malt, but amber can get a bit roasty pretty quick, but that's not a bad thing. The amount of biscuit in this recipe doesn't lend a very bready character, anyway. It might be nice to split the 3 lbs between biscuit, amber, and brown to really round it out. I hope this helps!

You can mash the biscuit. If he wants to, he can substitute some of the dry malt extract for maris otter pale and mash that, too.

Back