Got a Farm, What to grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WatereeBrew

Reaction score
i've got 4 varieties of hops growing in south carolina, but now i'm thinking barley varieties. its almost time to plant so I need barley seed asap. what am I looking for? 2 row? 6 row? both? how about wheat, and rye, and fruits i've got an up and running farm and the sky is the limit so what would you do....

Merit and Harrington are common 2-row barley's, but they are spring varieties. I can get you Harrington Barley. Falcon or Genu winter wheat. Choteau Spring Wheat.

I've got 30 hop plants. i'm definatley going to plant some winter wheat varieties, they can double as a deer food plot.

There isn't a good winter barley, other than Marris Otter. That has a very limited growing range. OSU has been working on developing one for years, but haven't licked the protein problem.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/crop2601

http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/library/research/popups/pdf/CMBTC 2009-10 varieties.pdf

It is a Canadian site, but gives what is recommended, and the demand for each. I am involved in the CMBT malt evaluation, I get to drink beer (always low hopped lagers, we are trying to get the malt to stand on its own) every other Friday at work and evaluate the characters. There are some newer varieties comming along that are VERY good, and some that are not going to make the cut.

how about winter wheat varieties? or any specialty grains that may grow cooler climates? in south carolina i might get 2 weeks of freezing weather but for the most part, we have mild winters.

how about winter wheat varieties? or any specialty grains that may grow cooler climates? in south carolina i might get 2 weeks of freezing weather but for the most part, we have mild winters.

Didn't a few repiles above answer your winter wheat question?

not exactly, look back at the replies, do you see any answers to winter wheat varieties?
People really over use the "quote" feature.

Like I said in post#2 ;). I have Falcon and Genou (varieties of winter wheat). We will likely also be getting some Vanguard, Rampart and Carter soon. Winter wheat is very hardy. It is 90% of what we grow and we get lots of 20 below weather.

Back