Gordon Biersch Marzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enderwig

Reaction score
I tasted this beer for the first time tonight, on the recommendation of a friend, (who it turns out, has no taste whatsoever :confused: )
I was so upset with this beer, that I would have gotten my money back if I could have. If BMC decided to make Marzen, this would be it. "Marzen Lite, on store shelves soon!" :(

When I purchased it I had visions of a nice malty oktoberfest/marzen in my head. I couldn't wait for that tasty munich malt to wash over my tongue, instead I get what tastes like pale malt with enough carafa or whatever for color and that's it. I guess I should have known when I read the back of the bottle and it mentioned a "roasty finish".

There's $8 down the drain, and I still have 5 of them to drink, (or pawn off on my friend who thinks it's a great beer.) At least I have a whole batch of JZ's oatmeal stout to keep me warm tonight.

If you're getting it in TX, it may just be bad handling. GB is made in the San Francisco area and I find horrible beers all the time. I could only imagine the crappy beer handling half way across the country.

If you're getting it in TX, it may just be bad handling. GB is made in the San Francisco area and I find horrible beers all the time. I could only imagine the crappy beer handling half way across the country.

The have a brewery and restaurant in North Dallas, I met Dan Gordon there at the opening. I think their beers on tap are great, their Schwarzbier is amazing, but they are not nearly the same in the bottle, and I do think the only bottling location is in San Jose.

I love the Schwartzbier. The last time I had one was at the Las Vegas location. The whole time I was there I was the only one that had one.

And yes, the only production facility is in San Jose. :D

I gotta say, I feel pretty much the same way about GB Märzen. It's really pretty boring. I don't think that handling is the issue, since the GB Hefe I had was pretty good. Ayinger Märzen makes a much longer trip and in my experience is a better beer. More flavor, anyway.

Märzen is GB's best seller, and its boringness may actually contribute to that....

Back