Goose Island Matilda dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyjumpup

Reaction score
Hello all,
I pitched the dregs of a bottle of Goose Island's Matilda into 2 cups of starter (2tbs DME and 1/8 tsp molasses) yesterday. I don't see any krausen, but there seems to be more sediment in the starter than there was in the bottle.... dose it sound like the critters are growing?

I've never made a starter before (much less with brett) but I'm trying to get a house sour blend going. Any tips, tricks, advice, or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers y'all

starters don't always krausen or show much activity so it could be working, only real way to kno is take a gravity ready (or take a whiff for CO2). matilda isn't all brett so it won't look any diff than normal fermentation. even if it were all brett, 100% brett primaries act just like sacch.

btw, do you plan on adding bacteria to this? brett alone will not make a sour

Thanks for the Crooked Stave pdf kaips1, read it all and learned a number of things. There is so much there that I see myself going back to it often.

dcp27, thanks for the tips. I don't plan to add lacto or pedio, but may consider it. I really enjoy the funk of brett and am more interested in that than in the actual acidity.

Update: The Matilda starter has certainly begun to work (hooray!). There is a significant amount of sediment, and a little carbonation.

no problem man, i find myself reading it quite often myself. Chad from Crooked Stave is insanely knowledgeable on the subject. Ill be doing a brett ipa with nelson hops only in the next week or two and i cant wait.

I've been wondering how brett and high IBU's would interact. It sounds like it could be really complex. Are you going to dry hop late in the game?

Let me know how it turns out, might be something that I would try sometime.

So I tasted my Brett trois/Nelson sauvign pale yesterday after 2 wks in the bottle an it's awesome. The nose is intensely complex from the Brett and the Nelson. The flavor is almost as complex with a real rustic flavor I associate with belgian yeast but see it being a true Brett flavor. I hope I can wait at least a another week before opening one again. I did dry hop it with 2 oz of Nelson for a week.

So I tasted my Brett trois/Nelson sauvign pale yesterday after 2 wks in the bottle an it's awesome. The nose is intensely complex from the Brett and the Nelson. The flavor is almost as complex with a real rustic flavor I associate with belgian yeast but see it being a true Brett flavor. I hope I can wait at least a another week before opening one again. I did dry hop it with 2 oz of Nelson for a week.

Fermented a NZ pale ale with 644 Brett Brux Trois and nelson motueka and pacific jade, around 25-30IBU. Just hit a year in the bottle and its getting super barnyard. Really enjoying how much it changed from a tropical fruit bomb to now a thicker full bodied funk. Interesting PDF about chad, gave me a lot to think about on the next batch with this delicious yeast!

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Fermented a NZ pale ale with 644 Brett Brux Trois and nelson motueka and pacific jade, around 25-30IBU. Just hit a year in the bottle and its getting super barnyard. Really enjoying how much it changed from a tropical fruit bomb to now a thicker full bodied funk. Interesting PDF about chad, gave me a lot to think about on the next batch with this delicious yeast!

I'm excited to see if I can hold onto a couple bottles for a yr.

Necro thread I know, but this year ABI have started bringing some of the Brew House beers into the UK, including Matilda and Sofie. They're dated 2017, which makes me suspect we're being fobbed off with ones that haven't sold Stateside, they claim to be "packaged in the UK" but since they're in custom 355ml bottles I assume that just means UK labels and boxes unless anyone knows different?

Do we know any more about exactly what's in the Matilda dregs? @Gadjobrinus?

I'll ask the same question over on the Sofie dregs thread.

Necro thread I know, but this year ABI have started bringing some of the Brew House beers into the UK, including Matilda and Sofie. They're dated 2017, which makes me suspect we're being fobbed off with ones that haven't sold Stateside, they claim to be "packaged in the UK" but since they're in custom 355ml bottles I assume that just means UK labels and boxes unless anyone knows different?

Do we know any more about exactly what's in the Matilda dregs? @Gadjobrinus?

I'll ask the same question over on the Sofie dregs thread.

Hey Northern, very sorry to be so late in reply. For that matter, for staying in touch with both of you, your compatriot. No excuse save I have been pretty monomaniacal about our current state and have dropped brewing entirely. Early Parkinson's otherwise, been in a pretty black hole. No excuse regardless. Sorry to both of you.

And I wish to hell I could be of some help here but I'm afraid I'm useless as I left right about when they were moving more into Belgians.

As I don't want a ton of people contacting him (we haven't been in touch for a really long time, though we were good friends at Goose), I'll PM with a guy who would likely know, and you could get and share what you find. Sound good?

Back