Goose Island Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewbeta

Reaction score
being from the Chicago area, I used some Goose Island bottles for my home brew. DON'T DO IT! I've had 5 bottles break on me already. 1 broke while bottling, and other 4 while uncapping. The one that broke yesterday must not have capped right as well because the beer was completely flat. Just a warning...

Tis the bain of cheap (thin) production glassware. Non-returnable is usually an fair indication of the durability of the glass.

Probably a dumb question, but I assume you're aware that GI uses both screw-top and pop-top bottles. I've heard of folks using screw top bottles with press-on caps. I think it might seem to work, but maybe not so well.

I remember the bottles that GI used for their harvest ale beer being pretty hefty. Perhaps being bought by AB has forced them to start cheapening things up?

I'm lucky to have Schlafly beer so readily available here in St. Louis. Those bottles are perfect. I rarely bottle nowadays, and when I do it's off the keg. Still, aside from my very first batch, Schlafly bottles are the only 12 oz ones I use. Very thick, very sturdy, and the labels slide right off.

Here in Canada I use the twist off bottles. They are awesome with the bench capper.

Back