Google Earth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Nothing to do with beer although interesting to play with when your having a brewski. Download the free version of Google Earth. Satellite maps, searches etc. Very Cool!! Just spotted this today. FYI - when you're looking from high up and see little squares/rectangles those are high res images where you can zoom quite close.

I happened to see a car in my driveway that I don't recognize whenever that image was captured... :eek:

http://earth.google.com/

Holy crapola is that cool. I played with that for about 2 hours last night.

The coolest thing to me was Washington DC.

Good find. I knew about google maps where you could get a satellite image instead of a colored map, but this is the bomb!!!!

Thanks for the link.

I thought it was kind of interesting to go lurking about the streets of Baghdad or Kabul in high res yet not in my old Milwaukee stomping grounds (low res).

I can see the future of GPS with satellite imagery coming round the corner. that'll be hot.

Edit: Guess it already supports gps but have to buy the subscription service

Hey ORRELSE, be careful about syaing "bomb" and "Washington D.C." in the same breath. Big Brother might come-a-knockin:D

Thanks for this! I've used some website that offers the same thing, but never knew you could get it all free on your pc! It rocks! I love that kinda thing. Couldn't find my car, though. :( I wonder where I was. And Washington, DC is absolutely the best feature of the whole thing! The detail on the Capitol Buidling is incredible! ;)

Sudster said:
Hey ORRELSE, be careful about syaing "bomb" and "Washington D.C." in the same breath. Big Brother might come-a-knockin:D

LOL...crap, I never even realized I did that!
Hope I don't get fired from my cozy government job. :D

When I said DC was the best, I was being sarcastic: I thought the entire city was blurred! I was looking in the wrong spot! D'oh!

Of course not, I'm an idiot! Still couldn't find them, though...so I Googled "coordinates of Great Pyramids" and I got a discussion of how this guy got the coordintes from Google Earth. Crazy. They offered an image...but you can't really see a pyramid. Crazy stuff going on in Giza, though...weird stuff...go to Giza, down low, and scroll around.

rightwingnut said:
Of course not, I'm an idiot! Still couldn't find them, though...so I Googled "coordinates of Great Pyramids" and I got a discussion of how this guy got the coordintes from Google Earth. Crazy. They offered an image...but you can't really see a pyramid. Crazy stuff going on in Giza, though...weird stuff...go to Giza, down low, and scroll around.

I found them. Search for Giza, Egypt. When it zooms over there you should see Sphinx in green letters on the South-West of Giza if your about 90 feet up. Zoom in near Sphinx and there they are. Pretty cool although I couldn't actually see the Sphinx. Very detailed, almost like they're fake. Cool search...

Another one I was trying to find was the great wall of china but couldn't
locate that...

Edit - Turn on "Geographic Features" on the layers pane as well to see "Sphinx".

Yeah....I did a Google search for "Great Wall of China from space", and the site I found showed the location of the pyramids. Cool stuff. I also came across a site that showed a picture of the Great Wall from a plane at 1000 or 2000 feet, and it was small looking. The pilot claims that you cannot see the wall from space...which I now believe. After all, how wide can it be? So I think you'd have to zoom very close to see it. I haven't found it. But this program has been taking up all my time. I go to the bulletin boards and see what cool stuff other users have found. It's fascinating. I think I found my truck...I wasn't home, but I may have been at my girlfriend's house. Someone posted a placemark showing a guy playing with his dog in Boston....all kinds of great stuff.
I can't wait till we get higher resolutions all over. Hey, check out the crazy circular farms north of Texas in Oklahoma, and all over Kansas.

rightwingnut said:
Hey, check out the crazy circular farms north of Texas in Oklahoma, and all over Kansas.

Shush man...those are crop circles. ;) Mention it to the wrong people and you're liable to get probed :eek:

ORRELSE said:
Holy crapola is that cool. I played with that for about 2 hours last night.

The coolest thing to me was Washington DC.

Good find. I knew about google maps where you could get a satellite image instead of a colored map, but this is the bomb!!!!

Thanks for the link.

Yea, I was able to zoom right in on my house... pretty unreal.

Back