Good Yeast For Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2brew

Reaction score
I'll be brewing an Imperial Stout that finished at 10% ABV last time using US-05. I'd like to try an English Ale yeast to add some additional flavor profile from the Yeast. I have access to various white lab strains and some dry at the LHBS. Any recommendations? I know WLP 007 will chew through this big beer no problem. Anyone know if WLP 013 will finish a big beer like this or stop short because of alcohol percentage?

I like Nottingham for my RIS. Lots of choices though. WLP039 (same as Notty) works well too.

WLP 013 will ferment your RIS. I just finished aging a 10.8% barleywine and the WLP 013 was a champ. Big starter, lots of O2, and it took off. 76% attenuation too.

For English strains I'd go 007 over 002. IMO, the extra attenuation is needed in a big beer to keep it from finishing really high, unless that is what you are aiming for.

Can't comment on 013, no experience with it

32Brew said:
WLP 013 will ferment your RIS. I just finished aging a 10.8% barleywine and the WLP 013 was a champ. Big starter, lots of O2, and it took off. 76% attenuation too.

Thanks. I have some recovered WLP 013 that I'd love to use along with a couple WLP 007 vials. Just finished up an Imperial Porter using the WLP 013 that came out awesome. Really nice ester profile ( vanilla like ) and tons of mouthfeel & body.

I have a few days to make up my mind before committing to 07 or 013. Never tried the 007 but I'm guessing it will be similar to US 05 in alcohol tolerance. Just not sure if I'll get any Esters characteristics from 007.

I have a few days to make up my mind before committing to 07 or 013. Never tried the 007 but I'm guessing it will be similar to US 05 in alcohol tolerance. Just not sure if I'll get any Esters characteristics from 007.

You will get some nice fruity esters with 007. Especially if you ferment above 66F. I ferment my 007 at 65F and still get some.

You will be fine in terms of alcohol tolerance. Although, I find that this yeast needs a bit of babysitting because it's super floculant. Make sure you pitch enough yeast, oxygenate, and ramp up temps after the vigorous part of fermentation to give 007 every chance to finish before they all drop out.

I used 007 in November for the first time on my Imperial Porter. It was great, very aggressive at the start of fermentation and a subdued fruity ester at 68F. Left a slightly dry finish and lots of the malt flavor. I racked it onto Cacao Nibs and Vanilla Beans.... I had to disconnect the tap because it was half gone in about an hour (too many people liked it).

Back