Good Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masskrug

Reaction score
So I have my Wards test and I plugged the information into EZWater and BRUnWater (forgive me as I am new to these calculators) and it comes out okay? Florida water? Does this mean I am good to go out of the tap without any additives?

pH 7.3
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 342
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.57
Cations / Anions, me/L / 5.8 5.7
ppm
Sodium, Na 39
Potassium, K 5
Calcium, Ca 45
Magnesium, Mg 19
Total Hardness, CaCO 3 192
Nitrate, NO 3 -N 0.5 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO 4 -S 58
Chloride, Cl 41
Carbonate, CO 3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO 3 60
Total Alkalinity, CaCO 3 49
Total Phosphorus, P 0.46
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

If you like the kind of ales most home brewers do then you are in pretty good shape. Respectable calcium and sulfate and modest alkalinity with head room to increase calcium by use of either gypsum or calcium chloride or both. If, OTOH, you favor continental lagers then not so good but relatively few home brewers do those.

Ales most of the time.

Wow. Surprising. I heard that Florida water was terrible for brewing. Maybe my county is doing a good job. My tax dollars at work.

I'm actually surprised that the alkalinity is as modest and the chloride and sulfate are as elevated. I'm assuming you are nearer the coast since my water in central florida was less mineralized. Ditto on AJ's comments, good for bittered ales and not very good for lighter flavored beers. Dilution may be in your future if you want to venture into creating great lighter flavored beers.

Dilution may be in your future if you want to venture into creating great lighter flavored beers.

Can you define this for me? Do you mean to do a partial boil and top off with some bottled water if I were to do a light beer?

Back