Good to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPollard6608

Reaction score
I am contemplating whether or not my first brew is ready to bottle. I am brewing an Irish Red Ale that was an extract kit from a local brewery. I have had it in the fermenter for over 2 weeks now and I checked the SG. My OG was 1.055 (Supposed to be 1.056) and the gravity has been 1.012 for two days. Is it ready to bottle? The kit did not give me an anticipated SG. I have checked around other recipes and they all have similar numbers to me. I just don't want to start my brewing career with bottle bombs. I plan to bottle this Sunday. What do you guys think?

If your FG is the same tomorrow you are good to go. Congrats on your patience.

Yeah take another reading while getting your bottles ready. I bet it will be the same.

Yes you should take another reading but wait until next week to do so and if the FG remains constant you can bottle. You probably could have bottled even sooner and been safe but leaving the beer in the fermenter longer seems to get you better beer and it will mature faster in the bottle.

Back