Quantcast

Good summer time beer for my first try at all grain?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Q2XL

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing my first all-grain brew some time next week. I am really looking forward to brewing an Oberon clone soon after I culture some yeat from a Bell's Oberon in early April.

What I want to do before I brew the Oberon is kind of get my feet wet with a simple summer beer brew. Most of my friends and family like a good summer beer, nothing too heavy. Gotta be able to drink it all day while we play volleyball in the water at the lake.

I brewed the extract version of Bier Munchers Centennial Blonde and so far it is very good, but I want to try something different. So, does anyone have a really good summer time beer recipe for my first try at all grain?

Thanks.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I just did my first AG a few days back and went with a Kolsch. Kolsch is a great Summertime brew.

If you go with a Kolsch - make sure to mash at 149 or 150 for a bit longer (75 minutes or so) instead of the normal 152 - 154 area to give it the proper finish.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote for a simple cream or blond ale.

We've gone through three kegs of MO/Vanguard SMaSH now

1.040 OG
16 IBU .5oz @ 60, 30, and 5

Mash at 154, ferment at 65*F for two weeks.

Very popular with the BMC crowd and it's a good lawnmower beer for the EACs. :D

Brewmasters Warehouse

Reaction score
I would go with a blond ale, like BM's Centennial Blond, or EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I am a big hop head, so a pale ale is very easy drinking for me.

Ed

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Blonde ale, cream ale, light lager, or a light hefe should fill the bill.

I have either just kegged, are going to keg this weekend, or are about to brew all of the above, so I am overloaded with light stuff.

A light amber ale would be nice, too.

:mug:

BrewDey

Reaction score
A cream ale with corn is a good one for warm weather and an example of what you can't get with extracts.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Do a cream stout. Nothing says "F-you, summer! I've got A/C!" like a stout.
yeah yeah, some of us actually like a little change in season :), not much here though, it is either warm or friggin hot all year. I should be in the pool next month so I have to get the summer beers going.

P.S. don't get me wrong, I love going into a ice box during a good heat wave too.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Humann brewing

Keg1: Fullers London Porter Clone w/raspberry(6%)

In London you could get shot for that;) , and guns are not as common as they are here
Yeah I know, I'm weird. I was going to do it with a Black Butte clone, but I had some EKG hops at the time and just decided to do the London porter instead.

It is definitely strange, the clone is spot on. I had some without the raspberries in it, but they really didn't impart that much fruit flavor, maybe when I get to the bottom of the keg it will.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Brew whatever you want, but I would steer you away from anything wheat or adjunct intensive.

I would say do an easy pale/bitter/mild/blonde or something like that. Something that a simple infusion mash will work for,and won't give you any lautering troubles.

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brew whatever you want, but I would steer you away from anything wheat or adjunct intensive.

I would say do an easy pale/bitter/mild/blonde or something like that. Something that a simple infusion mash will work for,and won't give you any lautering troubles.

I agree. A simple bitter/mild is wonderful on a hot day. I should know, south Florida is hot. I've got a mild on tap and a bitter conditioning