Good summer ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Looking for an ale to brew this weekend, that's easy drinking and good served a bit on the cold side. Needs to be bottled and ready to drink by early/mid June, when the weather here in Dallas will be consistently 90+. Considering blonde or British golden (what's the difference between the two?
), maybe an amber. Thoughts or ideas?
Thanks!

Last summer I did a blonde with grapefruit (add the juice, pulp, and torn up peel at the end of the boil). If I remember right, it was 2-row, Vienna, and Crystal 20. I can post details.

For something a little different, how about a Patersbier or a Saison? The Saison can be fermented quite warm (up to high 80s) so you won't have to worry about keeping it cool in TX.

note - neither are my recipe.

I always suggest the centennial blonde that's on here or a kumquat wheat pale ale that I can give you the recipe for if you'd like. I've dry hopped the centennial blonde and it's very nice!

I have a golden rye wheat pale ale with amarillo and chinook in the keg on tap right now that is great for hot weather.
5 gallons
9 lbs pale malt
1 lb rye malt
4.8 oz's torrified wheat
3.2 oz caramunich
40 IBU's of whatever bittering hop
2-4 oz's amarillo dry hop
sa05, wlp001, etc.

Mash at 152 degrees F for 60 minute
75 minute boil
6.2% abv
5.1 srm
1.060~ OG

I'm in the same boat as you MrBJones. Thinking I might do a blonde as I'm down to a few bottles left, but open for other ideas.

I'm considering brewing an Australian Sparkling Ale as my lawnmower beer this year. If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

I did that Cream of Three Crops Ale mentioned above and just brought it online. I am very surprised at the drinkability and the refreshing nature of this easy going warm weather beer. My SWMBO can't seem to leave it alone. But that fine with me since she is leaving my Gumball Head alone!

Thanks for all the replies!

To clarify, I mention temperature because it's an issue for me...I want something refreshing! As far as fermentation temps go, I can maintain down to the high 50s without issue.

my lawnmower beer for the last 2 years
stripped down recipe

9 pounds 2 row
2 pounds rye

2.2 aau of mt hood at 60
1 oz mt hood 10 minutes

chico

3 week fermenting

thats it

my lawnmower beer for the last 2 years
stripped down recipe

9 pounds 2 row
2 pounds rye

2.2 aau of mt hood at 60
1 oz mt hood 10 minutes

chico

3 week fermenting

thats it

That sounds good. Nice and simple.
Do you use flaked rye or malted rye?
DS

Golden ales are good in the sun. I think the only real differences between them and american blonde ale is that the british ones are usually served in cask and tend to be more bitter and hop forward (although there are certainly a fair number of insipid ones around!!) . Also the malt is almost always british, but there's no reason not to brew one with german or beligian pilsner malt for example

Here's one I brewed a while ago that I liked, I can't seem to find the full recipe on my beersmith though

97% Extra Pale marris otter
3% Torrified wheat

IBU 40

OG 1.040
FG 1.011

ABV 3.8%

Had 100g of late citra (5mins and 80c hopstand iirc) no dry hop though one might have been better. Some magnum to bitter to bring the IBUs up

yeast was just us05, bottled within 10 days. You could use a more estery english yeast though, Crouch Vale make some nice golden ales and they use the old Ridleys strain which I think WL or Wyeast have a version of

Back