Good starter kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rypcord

Reaction score
Is this a good starter kit:

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Beer_Brewing_Equipment_Kit_True_Brew_K3.html

It's the "True Brew K3" equipment kit.

The description/inventory of it lists:

The Maestro kit is perfect for beginning brewers. This inexpensive kit has all the quality equipment needed to start making great beer at home. Pair it with any of the True Brew™ Ingredient Kits to homebrew professional quality beers of any style.

This Maestro Kit includes an Automatic Pump-style Siphon.

The Maestro Kit with Auto-Siphon includes:
•True Brew™ Handbook
•6.5 Gallon Fermenting Bucket with Lid
•Adhesive Thermometer (for Fermenting Bucket)
•3-Piece Airlock (for Fermenting Bucket)
•6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
•Glass, Triple Scale Hydrometer
•Automatic Pump-style Siphon with 5' of flexible tubing.
•3/8" Dual Function Bottle Filler
•Beer Bottle Brush
•Double Lever Capper
•8 Packets of C-Brite Cleanser

For someone who has nothing yet, is this a good starter kit? (The site lists the price at 89.99$ pre-shipping).

Thanks.

It is a fine kit to start put with. As with most similar kits, there are things missing
Kettle
Long handled spoon / paddle
Sanitizer (recommend Starsan)
Thermometer

The list of stuff that you "want" will of course always be much longer

Honestly you can make beer with that if you can control, or keep it in a room that is at the tempature the yeast likes. :mug:

That can get you started. Then as you learn and brew more you can figure out what you need/want. Going to need a kettle, burner, spoon, Starsan, thermometer.

Is the C-Brite Cleanser a replacement for the starsan?

I've never used it so I can't say from experience, but I do see that it contains chlorine. Personally I pitched the cleaners that came with my kit and use PBW to clean and Starsan to sanitize, and haven't had an infection yet. Yes, there are cheaper options, but I'm not worried about saving a couple bucks when I know those two products work really well.

I would also reccomend a dollar store spray bottle or two. people like to have them for spraying sanitzer on things, but more importantly having one with clean water in it by the stove can make a big difference for knocking back a boilover.

StarSan
Long handle Stainless Spoon
Wort Chiller
long probe thermometer
Bottles
Caps
Those and that kit, your in the brewing hobby.
But! You must control the ferment temp. 65-70 and you'll be fine.

I bought the Deluxe kit from Northern Brewer. I opted for Better Bottles rather than buckets. I would not use a spigot on a fermenter unless Stainless Steel. I don't trust the cheap plastic ones for that long. The kit does not contain all the items I got any longer.

You will use some items all the time, other items might get tucked away and not used. Get an inexpensive kit, try to figure out what you will need that is not included. You will add plenty of items anyway.

Get things going. While you are upgrading you will have BEER to drink.

What all kits does everyone recommend for 80$ or so or less (before shipping).

There's the one I listed, which is 89.99$ but with the 20% off, comes to around 72-74$ pre-S&H.

Any others in the ballpark (nothing over 100$) that are better/worth it/come highly recommended?

The question you have to ask yourself, is what and how do you want to brew? I am relatively new to this whole thing. I got a starter kit from my in-laws for Christmas this past year and I have already outgrown that kit and no longer use any part of it. After three batches of extract, I was unhappy with the beer I was producing, found this website and moved to BIAB, kegging and I am very happy with the beer I am making.

If I was counseling someone who wanted to get into brewing, I would tell them to skip the starter kit and move straight into BIAB, not wasting money on that starter equipment.

The question you have to ask yourself, is what and how do you want to brew? I am relatively new to this whole thing. I got a starter kit from my in-laws for Christmas this past year and I have already outgrown that kit and no longer use any part of it. After three batches of extract, I was unhappy with the beer I was producing, found this website and moved to BIAB, kegging and I am very happy with the beer I am making.

If I was counseling someone who wanted to get into brewing, I would tell them to skip the starter kit and move straight into BIAB, not wasting money on that starter equipment.

While I'm quickly approaching that point myself, I've gotten great use out of the starter kit that I have, and believe I will continue to use. I wouldn't have been ready to put the kind of money you are talking about into this hobby before actually getting more into it. Guess it all depends on your budget and what level of interest you are at. I initially wasn't sure how long the hobby would stick with me - glad I gave it a try.

While I'm quickly approaching that point myself, I've gotten great use out of the starter kit that I have, and believe I will continue to use. I wouldn't have been ready to put the kind of money you are talking about into this hobby before actually getting more into it. Guess it all depends on your budget and what level of interest you are at. I initially wasn't sure how long the hobby would stick with me - glad I gave it a try.

Totally understand what you are saying and agree with you. This is one of those hobbies that you have to try to even know if it is something you want to do. I would recommend to find a local brewer and brew a few batches with that person first.

I would never have known I wanted to keg if I had not bottled my first batch....

I would get out now why you still can. This hobby is a money pit that will suck every extra penny you have. But, you will have some great beer.

True this.

What all kits does everyone recommend for 80$ or so or less (before shipping).

There's the one I listed, which is 89.99$ but with the 20% off, comes to around 72-74$ pre-S&H.

Any others in the ballpark (nothing over 100$) that are better/worth it/come highly recommended?

I sure hope you don't think $100 and you'll be brewing. Sure you can do it on a budget, and save some money here and there. But all I can say, see the above quote, pretty much sums it up. It's a deep, deep hole, and once you get in it's like quicksand, sucks you up. You've been warned. ;)

I got into brewing about July 2011, bought a cheap (<$100) kit with a simple extract recipe kit ($30). I have brewed over 200 gallons of beer to date, all extract kits. Yes, I have bought more stuff, have a keezer, and keggerator, and a bunch of buckets and carboys. No stainless stuff except for spoons and kettles, and don't use the carboy's anymore. I would say I've got less than $600 invested (keggerator was a gift) I still don't feel the need to go all grain, or BIAB (Brew in a bag) for those who chose to Wonderful, I don't. I make beer I like to drink, and so far except for a 5 gallon batch that ferment temperatures exceeded 75 degrees, every batch has been very good to awesome. The hobby will only suck you dry if your the kind of person that lets the hobby do that. I introduced my Brother-in law to the hobby a year ago, he's thousands in, and producing beer almost as good as mine.
get in cheap, make beer, go from there, report back. :mug:

@rypcord, to answer your question, yes, the kit you mention is a good starter kit. Nothing there you won't use, but as others have mentioned, you'll definitely need a few extra items. And then there is the cost of your ingredients. If you weren't dead set on starting with a 5-gal batch and wanted to give basic brewing a try, you could go with something like a 1-gal start-up kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop which includes some very basic equipment plus all-grain (no extract) ingredients for around $75.00. My S-I-L started with one of these and eventually did a couple more ingredient kits and made impressively good beer right from the get-go. Just sayin'.

I'm not tied to 5gal or anything, but 1gal seems very small and I think I would quickly outgrow it.

I'm not tied to 5gal or anything, but 1gal seems very small and I think I would quickly outgrow it.

Yes, you get about 9 beers. A lot of work for so little. I found 1 gallon brews were harder than larger brews. For instance if doing all grain, 1 gallon does not hold heat like 5 gallons when doing a mash. You still got the same amount of work and cleanup but you get much less.

Hey look a hole, what's in it, a rabbit?

I started 5 gal with some stuff I got from a friend. Then wanted to try things but not waste the money for ingredients on a 5 gal batch so bought stuff to do 1 gal batches. Loved what I came up with and thought I should make a keg of this and then another in case this one runs out. I can make 1g at a time or 15g or both or a 1g beer starter for the 15g batch.

Are you going to dip your toes in the water or dive right in?

I would also reccomend a dollar store spray bottle or two. people like to have them for spraying sanitzer on things, but more importantly having one with clean water in it by the stove can make a big difference for knocking back a boilover.

I never realized how handy this could be until I bought one. It's priceless. A quick spritz here and there when needed. Nice and easy.

All the Best,
D. White

How essential is a wort chiller for extract brewing?

I would say it makes life easier - not required. You can get around a worth chiller by doing ice baths. I'm still doing this - its a bit more work, and does take a little longer to bring down the temp. Now after doing 5-6 batches, I'm ready for a worth chiller just because I think it'll make life easier, if I had too, I could keep on doing ice baths.

I would say it makes life easier - not required. You can get around a worth chiller by doing ice baths. I'm still doing this - its a bit more work, and does take a little longer to bring down the temp. Now after doing 5-6 batches, I'm ready for a worth chiller just because I think it'll make life easier, if I had too, I could keep on doing ice baths.
Alright, thanks Pariah3j.

Back