Good source for cherry (and other fruit) juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinmanDan

Reaction score
Hey folks...I've got a recipe for a black cherry ale that calls for 3 quarts of unsweetened black cherry juice (to be added after taking the wort off the heat). I found a company that carries this (Knudsen), but I'm having problems locating a store that carries it.

My local homebrew shop carries cherry puree and cherry concentrate, but I'm leery that using these will adversely affect the final product.

Anyone have a good source for cherry juice? Or, failing that, anyone have experience using puree or concentrate?

Puree or concentrate should work fine as long as its pasteurized and does not have preservatives added. Juice is just pressed and filtered puree or unconcentrated concentrate.

you'll have better luck at the LHBS than the grocery store, who's juice will all be full of preservatives and likely refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

Eh, try Stop and Shop (if you've got one) they have fresh preservative free juices in the produce aisle. Believe me it took me a while to figure THAT one out tonight!

Thanks for the info, folks -- I was planning on hitting the LHBS this weekend to pick up some cherry concentrate or puree (not to mention more bottles), but as luck would have it, my wife asked me to stop by the grocery store for a bottle of wine. I wandered down the juice aisle and found Indian Summer brand juices (no sugar or preservatives) -- and a couple bottles of Montmorency Cherry juice. Now, I have no idea what a Montmorency cherry is, but I took a chance and bought three quarts. Upon trying it last night, I found it tart and very tasty -- not too sweet. Essentially, exactly what I imagine fresh cherry juice to taste like. Should be a good addition to the brew...I'll let you know.

Incidentally, Indian Summer also has a bunch of other juices (pomegranate, for example) that might work in some summer ales...for those who might be interested.

Thanks much to all who replied -- it's great to have help in my brewing endeavors.

The Montmorency cherry is a tart (AKA pie) cherry, as you discovered. They work much better in beers than sweet cherries.

Glad to hear that -- the one fear I had in doing this brew was that it would turn out too sweet...using tart cherry juice and the right hops should keep the sweetness in check. Thanks!

Back