Good results with not much sun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
I am a first time grower. My plants seem to be doing pretty well all the rhizomes are up and about 10". As summer approaches the sun is moving. I am only going to get about 5 hours full sun and then some sun some shade for the latter of the day. I have read the more the better. So my question is for the people who have been doing this for awhile. Can you get good results with this situation? I planted Cascade and Mt. Hood. I can't change what I have just wondered.

5 hours full sun will be fine. You won't get the same total growth as someone who gets 8-10 hours of sun obviously but it will still produce. The biggest problem will probably be the first year as much of the energy is used for root development and since they are not getting as much sun the hop yield will probably be poor.

What I would pay particular attention to is proper drainage and keeping the bottom 1-2' clear of leaves (once the plant grows 4-5'). A concern when not in a heavily sunny area is disease and rot. If you have good drainage in the area and allow for good air travel in/around the plant by clipping off the lower leaves you should be fine.

Goodluck!

I have some Nugget plants on my dad's deck. They are on the west side of the house, so they only get afternoon sun. They produce as well as some other Nuggets that get all day sun. As 7Enigma noted, just concentrate on keeping them healthy and you will get some hops for your brews.

Thats what I was hoping. Thanks I can't get over how fast they grow. I planted mine on may26 and the cascades are about 38" tall. It's like everyday there 5" bigger.

Wow...so I'm assuming you meant you planted them on March 26 and they are already 38" tall?! What are you feeding them?!

Mine have been in ground (pots) for about 3-4 weeks and they are only about 4". I'm only a couple hours away from you. Whatever it is...keep it up!

all I did was add compost and have been watering every other day. Yeah I planted them on march 26 and today there that big.

all I did was add compost and have been watering every other day. Yeah I planted them on march 26 and today there that big.

I really think this is the key for hops. They grow so incredibly fast and require so many nutrients, and in such a concentrated space that it is very difficult to chemically fertilize and not cause harm to the plant (or stunt the growth). Chemical ferts typically increase the salt concentration of the soil, and so you can get saline conditions around the hop plant that will make growth poor. Natural compost has HUGE amounts of nutrients, can't be over used (except in terms of root rot, so don't bury them under there!), and provides a ton of microbes for competition to the pathogens that might harm the crop.

I always cover my hops with ~6" of only partially composted material (can still see parts of leaves and small twigs) around Nov/Dec and it slowly decomposes over the winter. Come spring I'll put a top dressing AROUND the rhizomes (not directly overtop), and as long as there is ample sun and water they grow fantastic.

Back