Good Red Pale Ale Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
hey all - - just planning ahead (thinking St Patties day) - and i'd like to do an Irish Red, but also thinking Pale Ale. so - why not a Red Pale Ale?!

any thoughts - or recipes you could point me to? I'm doing all-grain, 5 gal batches if that helps; also - here is some of what i've got on hand:

1/2 lb each Carapils and Victory
1 oz Saaz
1/2 oz Magnum Hops

i'm thinking of something nice and malty - but still has a good hop taste/aroma. maybe even dry hopped; - - without getting into IPA territory.

i sense some gift cards to the LHBS coming my way - so this should be a freebie for me.

thanks for your help
and as always - - beermethatbeer!

I recently did a simple but deliciously drinkable beer in tune with the style it sounds you're looking for. It is a red ale extract recipe from a LHBS.

8 lbs light extract
1 lb crystal 120L
8 oz dextrin

1 oz magnum @ 60 min
2 oz your choice aromatic @ 5 and 0 min.
Used wyeast American ale.

It turned out more brown-gold then a typical red with the perfect bitterness for me, and everyone else seemed to really enjoy it. Just an idea hope it'll help.

Awesome, thanks for the help.
In the meantime i had apparently too much free time and crafted this recipe for myself (trying to use some spare malts)

Generally im the only one drinking my homebrew, but still hoping it works out. Here goes:

5lbs 2 row pale
3lbs Maris Otter
4OZ each : roasted barley : victory : carapils : melanoidin
.35 oz magnum at 60
.25 oz fuggles and EKGoldings at 30 then again at 10
Dry hop with .5oz fuggles EKGoldings at 2weeks (for 1week)

Mash at 153;
US-05 yeast

Im getting 16 srm and 32 Ibus

What do you think? I like malty and kinda hoppy, which is what im shooting for here! And hoping for a nice red color.
Thx!--beermethatbeer

Back