Good Pubs in London?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Red

Reaction score
I hopefully will be going on a trip to London. Does anyone have person experience with good pubs over there. I know this will be expensive so I'm trying to plan ahead and find the best places.

Thanks,
Tim

Is that 5 US $ for a pint?

When I said expensive I really was referring to the weakness of the dollar compared to the pound. The whole trip will be expensive.
If that is 5 pounds I be paying almost $10 US.

Thanks,
Tim

I spent a few days in london back in october and of the pubs I went to the Market Porter was by far the best.

There is also a brewpub just down the street fromit called Brew Wharf that had some pretty good beers of thier own and good selection of other stuff.

T Red said:
Is that 5 US $ for a pint?

When I said expensive I really was referring to the weakness of the dollar compared to the pound. The whole trip will be expensive.
If that is 5 pounds I be paying almost $10 US.

Thanks,
Tim
Nope thats 5USD 2.5GPB

And that's for a real pint not the small US one. AND they fill it.

Bah Humbug said:
Nope thats 5USD 2.5GPB

And that's for a real pint not the small US one. AND they fill it.

That sounds good.

Thanks for the replies. Good info keep it coming.

Tim

I was a little disappointed by the London pub scene. Taken individually, the pubs are great...wonderful cask conditioned ale, very decent food, nice atmosphere. The problem is that every place you walk into is THE SAME DAMN PUB! 9 out of 10 pubs are part of a franchised concern, and they are virtually identical, with the same decor and vibe. Check the food menus that are posted outside...identical! I was expecting a rich variety of unique establishments, but what I found could have been called "McPub."

By far, the best place I visited was in Greenwich, a short train ride away from London. The Greenwich Union features a spectacular array of beers made by the affiliated Meantime Brewing Company. We stumbled upon the pub quite by accident one afternoon, when we got lost walking back from the Naval Academy...a very happy accident! We had a few pints and a scotch egg, and when I mentioned my homebrewing hobby to the barman, he started bringing me samples of everything they had on tap.

We were impressed enough to return for dinner, and had the most amazing meal. They had a steak & stout pie that was obscenely good, and made the normal pub variety seem like a frozen dinner. Also good was the rosemary & mustard crusted lamb. The guy at the next table had something called "A Stinking Bishop," which actually smelled damn good! Naturally we washed it down with several pints of their wonderful beers, including the best stout I've ever tasted, and an American style pale ale (complete with cascade aroma) that was nothing short of stunning.

Well worth the train ride!

The Greenwich Union

the best place we went to when we were in London was called The White Horse. Lots of english ales, lots and lots of belgians and great food. We even got a tour of their cellar.

I'm not real familiar with getting around London, but the White Horse is in Parsons Green

It is not to be missed

Bah Humbug said:
I second Greenwich.
Wort a visit to the Royal Observatory and the pie shop near the Cutty Sark.
We actually went specifically to see the Cutty Sark, as I'd read it's restoration was to be completed by late 2006. Wrong...still being restored, and not open to the public.

So, we went to the naval museum, walked through the naval academy, and visited the observatory. Then we camped out at the pub!!

All in all, a wonderful day.

BlindLemonLars said:
We actually went specifically to see the Cutty Sark, as I'd read it's restoration was to be completed by late 2006. Wrong...still being restored, and not open to the public.

So, we went to the naval museum, walked through the naval academy, and visited the observatory. Then we camped out at the pub!!

All in all, a wonderful day.
The Cuty Sark is worse than that. It was destroyed by a fire started bt the restoration crew. It will cost Millions to rebuild.

I Stay in Greenwich often. At the St Cristpher Inn. (Not really worth a visit) Very cheap to stay at $20 in a dorm.

I went to a pub in Greenwich called The Trafalgar, was really nice, a bit posh though. Had families and sofas and stuff and was light and airy. Also had nice beer.

The best places I found in London were the White Horse and the Black Friar. Both excellent in my memory, and some random place I wandered into at the end of the night and hung out with a bunch of gay guys. That was a fun night too, but I have no idea where I was.

All towns have the McSame-Pubs, London also has a large number of great ones.

One thing about London is regardless of where you are you can probably find a REALLY good pub within half a mile.

The Trafalgar is an okay pub but is full of tourist and is not a regulars pub.
People and beer make'th the pub. That being said when I go in I'm a tourist.

People and beer make'th the pub.

True dat! And even the chain pubs in London have some excellent cask conditioned ale. (Along with the "SuperChilled" Guinness, never did figure that out!) They actually are great by most standards, it's just a little disappointing to be on a pub crawl and find yourself walking into what is essentially the same establishment every few blocks. That is easily resolved with a little bit of research, to help find the unique places.

Back