Good or Bad Deak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scturo

Reaction score
Here are a couple of used dented ball locks for sale at $35 a pop. Good or Bad deal?

If they hold pressure then yes, I think that is a good deal.

This is on Offer Up, and the guy doesn't know what he has. Don't know if I can test them. Do you think they are worth the risk?

So I ended up getting these kegs. The guy said they were left at the house by the previous owner. Seems like all the parts are there. I will have to get the o-ring kits for them. Hoping at least one is good. And they ended up being both for $35. So not a huge risk.

Not a bad deal. FYI, those are racetrack lids (straight sides). They can be a bit problematic in giving a good seal. So keep an eye on them.

Definitely get some new lid O-rings of the correct size, perhaps slightly thicker ones.

Not a bad deal. FYI, those are racetrack lids (straight sides). They can be a bit problematic in giving a good seal. So keep an eye on them.

Definitely get some new lid O-rings of the correct size, perhaps slightly thicker ones.

Thanks IslandLizard. The dip sticks are stuck on these. They should come out, right?

Thanks IslandLizard. The dip sticks are stuck on these. They should come out, right?

They should. Maybe soak upside down in a bucket with hot soapy water?

There should be a squarish-profile rubber o-ring between the flange on the top of the dip tube and the threaded stub on the keg. Maybe it's really compressed or old and hard.

A close up look from the side will tell you what's between the dip tube's flange and the stub.

Back