Good Online Store for Double Pole GFCI Breakers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinger084

Reaction score
Title says it all. I have found a few but they seem higher price than expected. I am looking specifically for a Square D compatible Homeline 240V Double Pole GFCI 30Amp.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Title says it all. I have found a few but they seem higher price than expected. I am looking specifically for a Square D compatible Homeline 240V Double Pole GFCI 30Amp.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you are interested, I have a brand new 30 Amp, 4 Wire, 8 Gauge, GFCI built-in, 17 Foot cable, which includes the male plug that I might want to get rid of. I'm considering selling it because I need more than 30amps.

It has never been wired.

Here is a picture.

30ampGFI.jpg

Let me know if you have any interest...

Ed

Piggybacking on this.

Where to find a double pole GFCI without breaking the bank.

My home is wired with a Double D panel so I would like a Double D GFCI. My search only shows Canadian websites advertising them. I plan on wiring into a solo box as I do not live in my house now but rent in another city but would like to install it into my home when I get to live there.

I have seen a 50A 120/240 Jacuzzi panel at Lowes for $79 with an electrical box which seems reasonable considering the outrageous costs of double pole GFCI CBs. The only problem is the box is huge and I would like to make this look nice or at least contain the whole package in a rack mounted computer case i have and not have a huge metal box just to hold one CB.

While I am at it how many Watts can a 30A 240V CB support? What are you doing that may need more than 30A Ed?

Home Depot carries double pole GFCI breakers for the homeline/square D boxes. The spa panel that you are looking at, is actually a 100 or 125 amp( I don't recall which) subpanel. It comes with 1 50 amp gfci ( GE brand) breaker, and spaces to add up to 4 more circuits.

You could always feed this subpanel from your main panel, and then feed whatever box you want on your stand.

Got my 50A at Menards for $99

I think my 30A was about $80

Piggybacking on this.

Where to find a double pole GFCI without breaking the bank.

My home is wired with a Double D panel so I would like a Double D GFCI. My search only shows Canadian websites advertising them. I plan on wiring into a solo box as I do not live in my house now but rent in another city but would like to install it into my home when I get to live there.

I have seen a 50A 120/240 Jacuzzi panel at Lowes for $79 with an electrical box which seems reasonable considering the outrageous costs of double pole GFCI CBs. The only problem is the box is huge and I would like to make this look nice or at least contain the whole package in a rack mounted computer case i have and not have a huge metal box just to hold one CB.

While I am at it how many Watts can a 30A 240V CB support? What are you doing that may need more than 30A Ed?

First, watts is calculated by: Volts X Amps = Watts.
So for your question: 240 X 30 = 7200.

I am going all electric... on a 50amp GFCI, I plan to run;
5500 watt HLT OR 5500 watt BK (not both at the same time)
1500 watt RIMs Heater
2 March Pumps
BCS-460 Controller
Laptop Computer
26 gigawatt Flux Capacitor

When I originally got the 30amp cord, may plan was to only run one or the other of the 5500 watt elements from it and have a separate 120v line into the panel. I decided to go to a single cord for the rig.

Ed

I am pushing my 50A with:

9000W
BCS
(2) LG 3-MD-HC pumps
E-bay cooling fan

I actually have to start the pumps first (the amps at start up would exceed my circuit capability if I had 9000W of heating power running concurrently)

The initial inrush on the pumps is 8+ amps each... then they run at 2.4A

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I will think about that cord Pickles.

The jacuzzi panel seams like a better idea now knowing it could be running multiple circuits. What I would really like though is a Square D CB, unfortunately I do not have the Homeline panel but the pro one. I see GFCIs for this in single pole configuration but not double pole.

One question on the dual voltage wires though. I have read that the jacuzzi panel or the 30A cord needs to be fed 4 wires to work. I currently live in an older rental. I was planning on wiring off the Dryer outlet which is only 240V.

Does this cord or panel really need the neutral wire or just need it to run 120V in the same panel? Would there be a danger from running only the 240V to a panel or control box?

Could I run an individual wire from a 120v outlet into the panel to achieve the needed power? The nearest source to the intended brew area is a GFCI outlet. I am afraid of running it through a second GFCI and getting inadvertent tripping.

My plan is to run only a BK at 5500 watts, which should be under 23 amps, then a pump and a PID, SSR combo, off the top of my head the PID requires a 12V power supply? I do not think a pump and power supply should take more than 7 amps so a 30 A CB should work if can figure out the 4 wire issue.

If I run a four wire does the two pole GFCI protect the neutral wire and 120V circuits as well?

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I will think about that cord Pickles.

The jacuzzi panel seams like a better idea now knowing it could be running multiple circuits. What I would really like though is a Square D CB, unfortunately I do not have the Homeline panel but the pro one. I see GFCIs for this in single pole configuration but not double pole.

One question on the dual voltage wires though. I have read that the jacuzzi panel or the 30A cord needs to be fed 4 wires to work. I currently live in an older rental. I was planning on wiring off the Dryer outlet which is only 240V.

Does this cord or panel really need the neutral wire or just need it to run 120V in the same panel? Would there be a danger from running only the 240V to a panel or control box?

Could I run an individual wire from a 120v outlet into the panel to achieve the needed power? The nearest source to the intended brew area is a GFCI outlet. I am afraid of running it through a second GFCI and getting inadvertent tripping.

My plan is to run only a BK at 5500 watts, which should be under 23 amps, then a pump and a PID, SSR combo, off the top of my head the PID requires a 12V power supply? I do not think a pump and power supply should take more than 7 amps so a 30 A CB should work if can figure out the 4 wire issue.

If I run a four wire does the two pole GFCI protect the neutral wire and 120V circuits as well?

The PID should be AC powered. 120VAC will work there

Thanks Pol, I was writing my response when you posted your so the 30 A would only work if I was to turn the heating element off while the pump starts up. Still do-abale but maybe pushing it and some further growth issues as well. Maybe 50A is the way to go but then cabling gets expensive.

How do you run 9000 watts? Do they make an element that big or are you running 2?

Are SSRs run with 12V? I seem to remember some setup on here needing a computer power supply to run a specific portion of the controls.

Thanks Pol, I was writing my response when you posted your so the 30 A would only work if I was to turn the heating element off while the pump starts up. Still do-abale but maybe pushing it and some further growth issues as well. Maybe 50A is the way to go but then cabling gets expensive.

How do you run 9000 watts? Do they make an element that big or are you running 2?

Are SSRs run with 12V? I seem to remember some setup on here needing a computer power supply to run a specific portion of the controls.

You are using a March? And 5500W? You are OK with 30A... I know because I have done that exact config. Now the LG pumps that I am running are larger (1/12 hp) and the March (1/25 hp). I have a greater inrush and running amp draw than you.

I am running (2) 4500 in the kettle and (2) 4500 in the RIMS heater. Not concurrently. It is the Kill A Watt build I have a thread on.

If you are using a BCS controller, then you have a wall wort, as it is DC powered, but if you are using a simple PID, that sucker should be AC

PIDs are AC powered, with a DC output

I am not sure what I will be using still putting together the parts, but trying to plan for the future.

So far i have an MLT that I used for the first time last week.
A keg that I have cut off the top of. I have a pile of SS for it. I was supposed to have it welded on Wednesday but got called into work. Hopefully the welder will call me back today so I can get this portion done. Otherwise I will be back to my normal schedule next week which means out of town for at least 4 days, which makes it hard to get things done. I have had a reserve shift for two weeks which is pretty much a two week vacation. I would have brewed more than the 3 times if I had any empty vessels, but they are all full.

My plan is to get a LG pump once the "March Alternative" thread goes away and the ebay price comes down.

Not sure of what controls I will use but have found more info on PIDs but will look at the BCS to compare.

One thing I will consider is just running a 30A double pole for the heating. The run a second cord for the rest. I can swap out a GFCI outlet for my 120v needs.

Just found a 50 Amp fuse Jacuzzi panel at HD for $50, seemes like a no brainer. It is a 125 Amp box with a 50 Amp GFCI built into it. I would like to just run 3 wires into it for 240V only. I was told a drier outlet with 3 prongs is only 2 hots and one neutral coming out, no ground. How can that be? Any suggestions to get 240V with ground to my control box?

My plan is to use two power cords to run my setup. The 240V to the jacuzzi CB box and another extension cord from a GFCI to run the 120V. The only downside i can see in this is the need to plug in two cords to get things running. In its current configuration I will only have 30A to work with on the 240 side (because of drier circuit limitations) but will get another 15 or 20 Amps of 120v from the GFCI. I want to run a 6/3 to the 240V and 12/2 for the 120V side. Since GFCI outlets are under $10 it seems like a good and cheap way to get GFCI protection and lots of power for less money. Eventually it will have 50 amps of 240V and 20 amps of 120V.

I just bought thi one at home depo for $50. breakers are ge.

Check your dryer outlet. mine was a three prong, but was wired for 4 prong. i upgraded the outlet, and dryer cord to 4 prong. I used the old threee preong element to power a heating element.

Back