Good low Temp ALE yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
It is way to cold to get some of my ale yeasts to really go to town, so it's lager season for me. 50f or so. But is there any ale yeast that will do well in these low tems? I'd like to sneak in one or two more ale brews this season. Thanks!

Thanks for the lead. The link here states that it will ferm down to 57f. Any ale lower?

Not that I'm aware of. Nottinham struggles a bit at 57, at least at first, but does very well at 59. That's about the lowest, although pacman will go well at 60, if a big starter is made.

50 degrees is perfect for lager yeasts, and 58+ works great for hybrid yeast strains like California lager, and 60-64 works great for nottingham, S04, and pacman. Over 65 degrees, in general, is the rest of the ale strains.

Not that I'm aware of. Nottinham struggles a bit at 57, at least at first, but does very well at 59. That's about the lowest, although pacman will go well at 60, if a big starter is made.

50 degrees is perfect for lager yeasts, and 58+ works great for hybrid yeast strains like California lager, and 60-64 works great for nottingham, S04, and pacman. Over 65 degrees, in general, is the rest of the ale strains.

I respectfully disagree on Notty's lower end. I like to run Nottingham at 57/58 and find that it chews through sub 1.060 wort in less than 3 days. Attenuation in the upper 70s or low 80s depending on wort make up. I'm running it at 55 now and while its sluggish it hit 70 % attenuation in 3 days and I'm starting to ramp the temp to help it finish out. It was a big pitch, granted.

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale does very well at low temps. The Wyeast site says 55F, and I've done a primary ferment at 56F before. If you pitch enough I think you could go even lower than 55F.

I've used us05 in the low 50s...my basement gets cold in the winter. So o find a.warmer spot right around 50+- and put a coat over the fermenter to help keep the heat of fermentation in...makes some good beer.

How about kolsch yeast?

WYEAST 2565 ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range but remains in suspension post fermentation. It requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've used 1007 below 55 and it seems to do just fine. I've also seen posts by Denny Conn saying 1007 is happy down as low as 44.

have you considered temp control?
a coat closet with a 100 watt bulb (in a lamp, on the floor) will stay warmer than you think!
shove a towel in the door gap

have you considered temp control?
a coat closet with a 100 watt bulb (in a lamp, on the floor) will stay warmer than you think!
shove a towel in the door gap

My situation is a bit difficult. See Photo

My beer-goal is to keep my beer gadgetry contained in the following booth. It makes sense for me to lager in the winter and brew ales in the non-winter months. The ultimate convenience would be to brew a variety of ales regardless the season which introduces the problem in the winter of ales that can ferment during the first 4 weeks of a lager.

If I must, I'll reintroduce my original mini frige with heat mats. :)

2014-11-16 08.42.07.jpg

I've used 1007 below 55 and it seems to do just fine. I've also seen posts by Denny Conn saying 1007 is happy down as low as 44.

Great lead! Ill have to search a bit to discover Denny's posts!

I've been tracking my Faux Pilsner with Notty for the last six days. I pitched 1 packet of Notty into 2.75 gallons of 1.050 wort and held 55 for the first 2.5 days. Then I raised it about 2 degrees a day.

48 hours - 50% attenuation
60 hours - raised to 56.5 F
72 hours - 65.5% attenuation
84 hours - started raising to 60 F slowly
6 days - 80% attenuation

I'm going to let it sit for a little before packaging, but Notty did the job once again. I am a fan of ramping temperatures towards the end of active fermentation, but this brew was held below the 57 degree lower bound of Notty until at least 70% attenuation. It was slower than a normal Notty ferment, but not be an extreme margin. I had krausen within 12 hours pitching at 55F. Depending on how many cells you believe are in a rehyrdrated pack of Notty, I pitched somewhere between 13% and 100% more yeast that needed for a .75M cells/mL/Plato pitch rate.

The few drops from my rest of my refractometer pipette sample where clean tasting and hoppy. Hard to get a feel for taste off a 2 mL sample but I think this is going very well.

My situation is a bit difficult. See Photo

My beer-goal is to keep my beer gadgetry contained in the following booth. It makes sense for me to lager in the winter and brew ales in the non-winter months. The ultimate convenience would be to brew a variety of ales regardless the season which introduces the problem in the winter of ales that can ferment during the first 4 weeks of a lager.

If I must, I'll reintroduce my original mini frige with heat mats. :)

If I were you I would spend about $5 for some styro board to separate your ale carboys. Wire up the ale carboys with heat bands to regulate mid-sixties and keep your chest freezer at lager/keg temps.

Boom! Problem solved.

If I were you I would spend about $5 for some styro board to separate your ale carboys. Wire up the ale carboys with heat bands to regulate mid-sixties and keep your chest freezer at lager/keg temps.

Boom! Problem solved.

You know this is the second time I've come across the insulation Styrofoam idea... Guess I'd better go for it!

wlp029 is doable in the fifties....i bit slower but works, I do a long primary for all my beers so I don't even notice the difference

Back