Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical-Brewer

Reaction score
So when I built up my Liberty ale yeast dregs, I started it off on the stir plate from the beginning.

I had left them on there for a few days just stirring along and didn't hardly notice a krausen. There was a little one but it quickly went away. I understand I started with a very small amount of yeast etc etc.

So after a couple days, I put it in a big mason jar with the lid halfway on and set it in my closet where they stayed a constant 77 degrees. Swirling it every time I walked by it. Shortly afterwards, I noticed more bubbles and a pretty decent fermentation going on.

After a few days in there, I cold crashed it, decanted and poured the rest in another starter and had a good, very identifiable fermentation and have a great yeast amount to do a brew with.

So, sorry for the long introduction, but here's my question; I have started one of my wild yeast and noticed a very small krausen similar to the liberty ale dreg's first starter. I'm half tempted to put it in the big mason jar now and see if it'll ferment out a bit more before I cold crash it in the fridge to build up again.

Is there enough left over sugar for the yeast to eat after it's been on the stir plate for 48-72 hours??? I wouldn't have thought so but the liberty dregs sure made a very visual fermentation once in the closet. Anyways, just curious what I should do at this point.

Good idea or bad idea? It's been on the stir plate now since Saturday, what little bit of krausen has long since been reabsorbed by the starter, and it has a nice "thick" look to it if that makes sense. Like there's a lot of stuff being swirled around.

Thanks all,
Tac

Latest posts

Back