Good grain for bulk purchase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I was wondering what would be a good grain for a bulk purchase that lends itself over wide variety of beers. I love American and British Ales but also love making a German Lager once and awhile. Do to the recent price increases for grains and hops I wanna start buying everything in bulk to start saving money.

mrkristofo said:
My vote is for Maris Otter Pale, but that's just me. Otherwise I'd go with a generic 2-row.

+1...but I'm considering some Pils with the warmer weather not far away...

Marris Otter or some type of UK 2-row works best for English ales.
US 2-row or UK 2-row work well for most American ales.
Pilsner malt is probably best for most German styles.
If you could only use one for all 3 I would get US 2-row and be sure to add some extra specialty grains for character.
Craig

ohiobrewtus said:
Sounds like you need both Maris Otter *and* Pils.

That's what I'm doing. MO for English beers, and it's a nice character for domestic IPAs, APAs, etc. as well. Continental Pils for Belgian and German brews. Just got a quote of $65 for a sack of the latter (free delivery), not sure whether that's still a good price or not.

[WQUOTE=the_bird]That's what I'm doing. MO for English beers, and it's a nice character for domestic IPAs, APAs, etc. as well. Continental Pils for Belgian and German brews. Just got a quote of $65 for a sack of the latter (free delivery), not sure whether that's still a good price or not.[/QUOTE]

Where did you get free shipping from? Part of the problem for me is the best prices on bulk grain are in the midwest. Being in Massachusetts I pay more for shipping than the grain itself depending on where I look. I was wondering what you guys think of Muntons, Breisse, or Weyermann. http://www.nfghomebrew.com sells them and it's nice and close so I don't get burned on S/H costs.

moger777 said:
Where did you get free shipping from? Part of the problem for me is the best prices on bulk grain are in the midwest. Being in Massachusetts I pay more for shipping than the grain itself depending on where I look. I was wondering what you guys think of Muntons, Breisse, or Weyermann. http://www.nfghomebrew.com sells them and it's nice and close so I don't get burned on S/H costs.

As I've said many times on here, go to the local brewpubs and see if you can piggyback on their orders. That is what I do and I get the bulk price they get. The shipping is nothing because they'd be getting the grain with or without my portion. Then you pick it up from them, so there's no shipping on that side either...

moger777 said:
[WQUOTE=the_bird]That's what I'm doing. MO for English beers, and it's a nice character for domestic IPAs, APAs, etc. as well. Continental Pils for Belgian and German brews. Just got a quote of $65 for a sack of the latter (free delivery), not sure whether that's still a good price or not.

Where did you get free shipping from? Part of the problem for me is the best prices on bulk grain are in the midwest. Being in Massachusetts I pay more for shipping than the grain itself depending on where I look. I was wondering what you guys think of Muntons, Breisse, or Weyermann. http://www.nfghomebrew.com sells them and it's nice and close so I don't get burned on S/H costs.[/quote]

Local guy who has set up shop. If you're in Berkshire county, he delivers (personally) to your door. He's also a member of the homebrew club, so I can just pick up stuff at the meetings.

Back