Good "everyday" cleaner for small jobs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

IanMC

Double Curl Brewing
Reaction score
Hi all,

I love PBW to death, but it is not always convenient to mix up, and it doesn't keep well once mixed (given that the oxygen volatizes), so I am at a loss for a good light-duty everyday cleaner for small jobs.

For context, I am making a lot of meads lately, and given that they require a lot more babysitting during fermentation than beer (e.g., staggered nutrient additions, degassing, etc.), I am having to do small clean up jobs every day on stir wands and hydrometer flasks and so on.

Any suggestions for something that is storable, yet doesn't leave a film/is not highly sudsing, the way dish soap is?

Thanks!

ncbrewer

Reaction score
My wife uses dish soap for winemaking, and I've never picked up anything off about the taste. Just a wash and normal rinse seems to be sufficient. I use OxiClean for brewing because of soap film concerns, but I don't think it's an issue with wine. ymmv.

bleme

Reaction score
For things like stir wands and hydrometer flasks, I do a dip in a bucket of StarSan, do the job, and immediately rinse in hot water. No soap needed.

If I actually need to clean something, like washing out a fermentor with caked on trub, I use OxyClean (or the dollar store equivalent).

OP
I

IanMC

Double Curl Brewing
Reaction score
So you only use cleaners when you have caked on dirt. That makes sense. For the StarSan, do you keep a bucket of it premixed long term, or do you mix it up on the spot? I'm always worried about it losing potency if kept premixed for long periods.

bleme

Reaction score
So you only use cleaners when you have caked on dirt. That makes sense. For the StarSan, do you keep a bucket of it premixed long term, or do you mix it up on the spot? I'm always worried about it losing potency if kept premixed for long periods.
I keep a bucket pre-mixed. If I use the RO water from the machine in front of the grocery ($.25/gal), it lasts a long time.

505-Brewer

Reaction score
Use DI or RO water. It wont cloud. Filter as dirt dust collect. Mold on a bucket lid is the only concern. If you pour it back in a sealed container you should be fine.

OP
I

IanMC

Double Curl Brewing
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I'm going to pick up an extra HDPE bucket and lid for this. Thanks!