Good dry yeasts for low temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be spending my first winter in my new house this year, and my basement (where my wort becomes beer) is currently at a chilly 58 degrees. I assume it will get even colder in winter's deep freeze.

I currently use dry yeasts exclusively. What dry ale yeasts perform well at lower temps (in the mid to high 50's)?

Or should I just brew lagers with S-23? and carry my brew bucket upstairs where it is warmer for a D rest?

S-04 did well for me at 58-60...remember inside the bucket will be 5-10 degrees warmer because of the fermentation...I usually ferment on the cooler side to begin with and I get a nice clean profile from doing so.

Interesting.

It's reassuring that you had good experiences with ale yeasts at those low temps. I'm not so much worried about the primary fermentation stage (known to raise temps a few degrees), but I am worried about the yeast going dormant early and the FG finishing too high.

I second the motion for either US-05 or Notty, both work great in the cold.

If it gets much colder, into the 40s or low 50s, also try W-34/70, which is actually a lager yeast and a very good one.

Back