Good Deals on CO2 Tanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
I'd like to get into kegging and I'm checking around on all the various pieces of hardware I'll need. One thing I'm still trying to source is the CO2 tank / regulator.

Anyone have any ideas on where to get the best deal? I've checked with the local welding supply company and they want $89 for a new tank, plus $89 for a regulator - ripoff. I also called the fire extinguisher company and they get $65 for a refurbished tank (including the fill), plus $49 for the regulator. These are all 5 lb cylinders.

Thanks! :mug:

that's about right unfortunately. I paid way to much when I started in retrospect. you make it up when you start filling and realize how cheap the gas actually is. I used Beverage factory dot com for all my parts. good company, reliable and great inventory, but pricey.

jfrizzell said:
..I also called the fire extinguisher company and they get $65 for a refurbished tank (including the fill), plus $49 for the regulator. These are all 5 lb cylinders.

Thanks! :mug:
Go with refurbished (rental) program. No use in buying a brand new expensive tank unless you have a surefire place to get it refilled. THink of it like your BBQ propane tank exchange program.

I would definitley shy from the regulators offered locally unless you're experienced enough to know what to look for. Get you regulator from an on-line brewing or beverage company.

I got a 20# from one of my local fire extinguisher companies for $85 filled, and it was recently tested, so I don't have to worry about that for 5 more years. Not sure what kind of kegerator you've got, but think about getting a bigger tank. Refills will be about the same price whether you have a 5# or 20#, so if you have room, you may as well get 4X the gas. Mine takes up about the space of a corny in my fridge, and even if I had a 5lber, I'd only be able to fit 5 cornies in it anyway, so I'm not out anything.

i'm a big fan of buying off craigslist. i usually get the tank for 20, it is out of test, so the test costs another 20, and the fill around 15. so for around 55, i get a full tank of co2. this is for pretty much all sizes. you can find good deals if you look hard enough, and are patient enough.

i am also a big fan of spare tanks. i personally have 7 co2 tanks ranging from 2.5# to 50#. you never know when you will run out of gas, and it will inevitably happen when you need it the most.

I used Brewers Discount to get all my parts, i.e. regulator and such. But I was able to get a 10# tank off Ebay for $65 shipped. I thought that was a decent deal.

I second craigslist. Search everywhere nearby to you and you might get lucky. I got a 20# tank & regulator (with a fridge) for free just by checking at the right time. [I'm in a college town and got it at the end of the school year from a landlord who found it in the rental unit & didn't want it]

Thanks again Biermuncher... I think the trade in option is a better fit for me. I called Airgas (in Orlando) it is about $86.00 (5#) for start up and roughly $18.00 for the trade in's. What is really cool is that Airgas is not far from the LHBS. (2 birds with one stone :) )

I am sure getting your own tank filled is less expensive. However I like the idea of being in and out in 5 Min's.

Pay a little extra and get a 10# tank. I bought from Micromatic and it was $15-20 more expensive. However, while it cost $12 to fill my 5# tank, it only cost $15 for the 10#. We're mostly paying for the labor. Within 3 refills of the 10# tank, I'll have saved enough to make up for the extra cost.

Chris_Dog said:
I am sure getting your own tank filled is less expensive. However I like the idea of being in and out in 5 Min's.

The place I use around here (Richmond Oxygen) only takes about 5 minutes to do a fill - just walk in, a guy takes the tank out back and you go ahead and pay for it, and a couple minutes later he comes back with your frosty full tank. I realize not everyone has a place that can do that, but around here it's a no-brainer if you live anywhere near the southern Hanover County border. It's the cheapest supplier around to boot ($12.60 with the tax included). They can also do 20 cu ft tank 25/75 beer gas mix fills for $15 plus tax but also have a tank exchange program for that since they try to keep a couple filled tanks on hand as it takes longer to fill.

Chris_Dog said:
I called Airgas (in Orlando) it is about $86.00 (5#) for start up and roughly $18.00 for the trade in's.
Airgas in Burbank quoted me $18, but by the time I got out the door it was more like $30, with various fees and taxes tacked on.

Now I go to Tavern Services. They fill my tank in about five minutes and I hand them a ten dollar bill...done!

Great little shop. Their primary business is servicing the bar/tavern/beverage industry, but it's also a mini-LHBS. They even have a grain mill available. Nice collection of micro-brews too, in kegs & bottles.

Tavern Services
18228 Parthenia Street
Northridge, CA 91325
(818) 989-3171

Back