Good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head

Reaction score
I came across someone selling 2 50# bags of Carafoam and 2 50# bags of caramel 120 L for $20. They come crushed. Is this as good a deal as it seems to me?

And what's the best use for these grains? I'm a newb with all-grain, I've only done one Imperial stout.

Thanks!

If it were a base grain I'd say go for it but seeing that it is pre-crushed caramel malt I'd stay away from it. I don't know your brewing schedule but that just seems like way to much of that malt for me. Let's say on average you use a pound of caramel malt per five gallons, that means it will take roughly 50 batches to go through that and I think the best way to store grain is uncrushed.

That's a lot of crushed specialty grains, you wouldn't use a whole lot of either one in your standard homebrew recipe. It would take me a LONG time to go through all of that. If it's crushed already, it may not be worth using after a while. If it was crushed bags of base malt, it would probably be worth it. Crushed bags of specialty malt, maybe not.

The problem is that those are not base malts, so you are only going to use a couple pounds max for a 5 gallon batch.

As long as they are stored well (cool/dry) they will last a while, but it will take a really long time to go through 200 pounds of that stuff. Some people claim crush grains absolutely have to be used in a few days, other say it can store just fine for a year or more. But that's so much specialty malt to have on hand it's probably not worth the hassle at any price.

As already stated, those are not base malts. You would use at most a couple of pounds of each in a typical 5 gallon brew. It would take me many years to use all that grain.

Also, being already crushed seriously lessens the shelf life. You would want to use these grains within a couple of months at the longest.

So, that is not really a good deal.

On the other hand, if you had a couple of hundred friends who were willing to split the price???

Another way to look at it is. If youare only paying $20 for all that grain, then if you use more than 20 - 25 lbs you are ahead, even if you toss a lot of it.

If there any other brewers near you and you can split it then you are even farther ahead.

Back