good dark beers for summer time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
Usuaully when I think stout or porter I think cold night, but I've got the desire to brew something dark. What could I make that would be good for the late summer months?

Black IPA....just finished with NB's base kit, added cocoa nibs and extra hops to balance, fantastic.....you could brew as is and it is amazing....

v

I can't lager otherwise I'd be all over the dunkel. I have a dunkelweiss and an english mild right now but they definitely won't last through august. The black IPA sounds great though. Are there any all grain recipes? I did a search but didn't come up with much

Saw the title and was going to say black IPA as well. I don't have a recipe though. On the other hand.. I drink my oatmeal stout no matter what time of year it is :)

NB has an all grain kit, not sure if you do kits, but you could always just use their base and tweak as you see fit. I just tasted after two weeks bottle conditioned and it tastes just like 21st's Back in Black.....awesome.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BlackIPA.pdf
This is their inventory sheet....

Good luck...if you do an all grain, please post, I'm looking to make the transition over the summer....

v

I also HIGHLY recommend the NB black IPA. I have done both the extract and all grain versions and both are excellent.

Black IPA's are delicious. I had one on-tap last spring, and it didn't feel out of season at all. :)

Back