good contest for feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_g08

Reaction score
I have homebrewed for a number of years, but have never had much for feedback, save for feedback from family and friends (and my own unbiased palette....)

I figure sending some bottles to a competition would be a way to get some good feedback. Is there a recommended comp. for this purpose?

<edit>: I am thinking August - September timeframe for my current batch. Otherwise, I would brew specifically for the contest in question.

Subscribed. It's actually harder to google contest info than I thought it would be.

I would suggest finding a local Brew Club and taking some beer to them to taste. Usually they will have certified judges as part of their club. Failing that, try a LHBS of more if posible.

The AHA provides a list of sanctioned competitions throughout the year. Follow this link to view the list.

This will be my second year entering the Brewers Cup here in Indy, and my 3rd comp overall. I like to enter beers mainly for the feedback. I want to know where I can improve my brewing skills. I am also lucky enough to have grown up with a few local brewers, including one with several awards under his tenure. So I use them for criticism as well.

Local homebrewing clubs often hold contests as well (at least mine does). You may not get certified judges, but you can get feedback from other homebrewers in your area which is better than a poke in the eye. I just googled homebrew clubs _________ (insert local area here)

Back