Good BrewPot???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limey lou

Reaction score
it is a good size enamel pot but was concerned with brass or copper spigot. i know ss would be better but is this good also?

my.php

I'm sure it would work, but I'm not sure how long you could use it. How big is it?

I scored an incredible deal at Garden Ridge last weekend. It was a 3.5 gallon SS pot that someone had evidently returned to the wrong store.

It was almost twice as big as the biggest one they carried and the sticker said $4. I wanted a slightly bigger one, but I could not pass it up.

she said it's 30 quart. i still have not bought it yet. what concerns do you have with it...the brass/copper spigot or the size?

It should work absolutely fine if the interior is in good condition....w/out the price, can't comment on value?? The main issue w/ enamel is durability. If it is dinged the enamel can chip and expose the steel pot, which some say is bad for brewing. If you can buy it right (cheap), go for it. I would guess enamel ranks with or below aluminum when it comes to brew pots.

she wants $20 for it.

i always read of people wanting stainless steel fittings but it's always in ss pots. do copper or brass(not sure yet) pose hazards to brewing?

That doesn't seem to be a bad deal. I'd be more concerned with the condition of the enamel. Look carefully for cracks and chips. Don't use metal utensils. If the enamel flakes off, it may end up in the beer and the steel underneath may leach some flavors...
As far as the brass / copper, you can do a search on "pickling metal" and consider that option.

it did have chips from being used as canner. thanks for heads up on that!!!!

Back